Like Tree7Likes

cathay pacific - over the weight allowance?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    So you're saying that in order to get anywhere near decent service you have to maintain a diamond status?
    Pretty much. Or buy biz or first class tickets, which is pretty much the same thing.

I'd rather fly with someone else then!

I think what she's saying is for you to get rules bent for you (and priority handling) you need Diamond Status. Less than that then you are very unlikely to get the rules bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I'd rather fly with someone else then!
    Really? With someone else you don't get decent service at any level. (in my experience). Air travel is a flying bus these days - crap service, uncomfortable hell.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Really? With someone else you don't get decent service at any level. (in my experience). Air travel is a flying bus these days - crap service, uncomfortable hell.
    Not necessarily true. Most of it is hit and miss. I've paid more for my flights on Cathay and received crappier service both in-flight and at check in (they charge me excess and were rude about it) compared to flying on Singapore Airlines or Thai Airways where I had never had issues at check in and awesome service in-flight. And SQ always has newer planes. I didn't find the A380 uncomfortable at all!
    Last edited by bak875; 26-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    See what happens if you try to check in one bag that is over 23kg!

Were you were flying to USA with Delta?
    If so, your assertions about Cathay are wrong :
    Check In Baggage, Checked Luggage, Baggage Allowance - Cathay Pacific International

PDLM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I have to disagree. Over the years I've become extremely underwhelmed with Cathay. Given my loyalty program is primarily with Star Alliance where I tend to roll over my Gold status after few trips to US, etc. Having said that, I believe I get much more flexibility on Star Alliance than when I did have comparable status with OneWorld (through status match). Additionally, the new economy seats on Cathay which slide under make me want to kill myself on any flight over 2 hrs. I have found the service on Signapore Airlines, Thai and Malaysia very much comparable to Cathay (if not better in many cases) and any Middle Eastern airline like Qatar just blows them out of the water imho.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    I have to disagree. Over the years I've become extremely underwhelmed with Cathay. Given my loyalty program is primarily with Star Alliance where I tend to roll over my Gold status after few trips to US, etc. Having said that, I believe I get much more flexibility on Star Alliance than when I did have comparable status with OneWorld (through status match). Additionally, the new economy seats on Cathay which slide under make me want to kill myself on any flight over 2 hrs. I have found the service on Signapore Airlines, Thai and Malaysia very much comparable to Cathay (if not better in many cases) and any Middle Eastern airline like Qatar just blows them out of the water imho.
    When I lived in New Zealand I had star alliance status through AirNZ (top level). I found that, just like with Cathay and Qantas, Singapore Airlines were pretty indifferent to the "star alliance" status through AirNZ - I have never found Singapore Airlines to be anything but awful and avoid flying on them.

However, I have a theory about that. I think women get much worse service on Asian Airlines (including cathay, sing, thai, malaysian etc) than men in suits. The only thing that offsets this is high status or flying in business class. I base this assertion on the fact that many blokes I know seem to LOVE flying Singapore in particular, while I dislike it intensely based on completely indifferent service (and their old biz class seats were horrible and lumpy). Anybody comment?

Original Post Deleted
    The 46kg 'Allowance' is not unique to Delta, it is a regulation common to any airline flying to the USA.

i.e. 2 bags weighing no more than 50 lbs (23Kg) each.
    Last edited by Stoob; 26-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.