ADVICE: Travel from Hong Kong to Shanghai

Closed Thread

Question ADVICE: Travel from Hong Kong to Shanghai

Hi All,

I need your advice, I'm helping my dad book his trip to Shanghai. He'll be flying into Hong Kong only.

I've read the forums and see that he can get there by Ferry, Bus or Train.

I was wondering how I can actually do that, website links, prices, contact details?

So far I only know of ctrip and they only have prices of domestic fares (ie Shenzen to Shanghai). My dad is not familiar with the area, so it would be easier for him to have a fairly straight forward trip .....

Any ideas? Any info/links/contact details would be greatly appreciated. Thnx

Also i was wonder what are the trains (assuming there is more than 1 company) that goes from HKG to Shanghai?

I'd like to find the schedules/prices for Sept.

Also I've found out that China Easter/Dragon/Cathay/ShanghaiAir fly to Shanghai directly, but cant find prices .... how do I go about getting airfare quotes?

Thnx

www.zuji.com.hk will give you prices

Chances are though, for China flights, your local travel agent on the street corner will give you better deals, specially on China based carriers like China Eastern, Air China (which is a code share with Cathay / Dragon but works cheaper if you book as an Air China flight).

OP should actually consider booking CX to HKG with stopover and KA from HKG to PVG. Adding connecting sectors may not be too expensive.

Ferry from Hong Kong to Shanghai? Not sure about that - it would take a few days. Similarly the bus - you are aware that Hong Kong and Shanghai are 800 miles apart?

You should be looking at getting an air ticket from wherever you to Shanghai via Hong Kong on Cathay, with a stopover in Hong Kong in one direction if required.

Don't forget you have the fast train service ( not as fast as plane of course ) . Its a great way to travel to see the countryside and city views a) if you get a sleeping car b) take your own food and drink .

Runs every day ( ? ) from Hung Hom Station take around 24hrs.

PDLM
    There is a sleeper bus service from Shenzhen and although very cheap, unless your a die hard experienced cheapo traveller, its to be avoided.

Check out the KCR website for details on the direct train to Shanghai:

http://www.kcrc.com.hk/html/eng/serv...ices/index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by geo-seb:
    Check out the KCR website for details on the direct train to Shanghai:

http://www.kcrc.com.hk/html/eng/serv...ices/index.asp
    The train costs over 500 HK$. If you fly from Shenzhen on a discounted ticket you might get quite close to that. Ctrip e.g. offers RMB 560 plus tax for next week.
    Flying from Zhuhai is available on Spring Airlines (to HongQiao Airport which may be a big plus depending on where you want to go) for 300-400 plus tax (currently around 130).
    But getting to Zhuhai airport is time consuming if you start off from HK. Still better than the train.