Like Tree27Likes

WARNING - Air Asia SCAM

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Moving07, Im with you on this one. Funnily enough, I was in the same situation for a Taipei - Kuala Lumpur flight earlier this month, as I needed to change my flight to Malaysia to one week earlier. Matter of fact is, they actively ENCOURAGE online check ins as they make it clear that a fee will be charged if you check in at the airport. Moreover, there are options all over the browser window once you purchase your ticket online, and obviously you want to secure a good seat up the front (well I do anyway) by checking in earlier - this is all without sufficient warning that you are UNABLE TO CHANGE your flights once check in online.

I emailed my grievience via their website feedback as suggsted by the customer service rep over the phone, as I felt scammed like you. Luckiy enough, my online check in was cancelled one week later (took them awhile) and I was able to change my tickets for a fee.

My sister booked a flight with air asia a few days later and noted that there are now putting such warnings for people doing online check ins, which I am sure was NOT there before.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out.. good luck with that

Last edited by JHCH; 25-11-2011 at 01:57 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JHCH:
    Moving07, Im with you on this one. Funnily enough, I was in the same situation for a Taipei - Kuala Lumpur flight earlier this month, as I needed to change my flight to Malaysia to one week earlier. Matter of fact is, they actively ENCOURAGE online check ins as they make it clear that a fee will be charged if you check in at the airport. Moreover, there are options all over the browser window once you purchase your ticket online, and obviously you want to secure a good seat up the front (well I do anyway) by checking in earlier - this is all without sufficient warning that you are UNABLE TO CHANGE your flights once check in online.

I emailed my grievience via their website feedback as suggsted by the customer service rep over the phone, as I felt scammed like you. Luckiy enough, my online check in was cancelled one week later (took them awhile) and I was able to change my tickets for a fee.

My sister booked a flight with air asia a few days later and noted that there are now putting such warnings for people doing online check ins, which I am sure was NOT there before.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out.. good luck with that
    THANK YOU FOR THIS POST.

Yes, that's exactly the points I am making.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I got the impression when I rang up that sometimes they did uncheck, and I waited to see if that would happen for me, but it did not. It was all the points in your first paragraph that I was trying to explain, because it's so easy to fall into this trap and I wanted to warn others.

Original Post Deleted
    Whoops, sailed over me too

Well the good news is that the transfer to MAS was easy and no-showing the outbound air asia flight did not affect the return (which was 1.5 hours late).
    In retrospect my outbound connection would have been hell. I'd left 1.5 hours (last flight of day so no option) but we'd have struggled to make that. The LCCT is MILES from KLIA, took 30mins on bus, plus waiting, taxis refused to go and its very chaotic. So all worked out well in the end but 3 hrs ended up being a "tight" connection on the way home, even with only handluggage, for anyones future reference.

Heh, ironically same issue has just happened with us.

Supposed to be flying tomorrow, however seems missus can't make the flight. We can't do anything as 1. we have already checked in and 2. even if we hadn't already checked in, you can only make changes if you have 48 hours left.

However they say missus can no show tomorrow and fly the next day by buying a new one day ticket. Return flights are still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    However they say missus can no show tomorrow and fly the next day by buying a new one day ticket. Return flights are still valid.
    I don't know about Air Asia specifically, but isn't part of the point of low cost airlines that they don't actually sell return/multi-leg tickets - they sell multiple singles? Which would explain why there's no problem missing one flight and taking the next one.

we also got to be careful about airline staff snooping through our passports pages before printing a boarding pass.
    I took this cheap Korean to Seoul and on my return back staff spotted the label " All Conditions Of Stay Have Been Cancelled". Which is actually a good thing but poor Korean dude panicked at the sight of "Cancelled" and refused to print a boarding pass unless I sign an indemnification letter.

Last edited by Morrison; 30-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Well the good news is that the transfer to MAS was easy and no-showing the outbound air asia flight did not affect the return (which was 1.5 hours late).
    In retrospect my outbound connection would have been hell. I'd left 1.5 hours (last flight of day so no option) but we'd have struggled to make that. The LCCT is MILES from KLIA, took 30mins on bus, plus waiting, taxis refused to go and its very chaotic. So all worked out well in the end but 3 hrs ended up being a "tight" connection on the way home, even with only handluggage, for anyones future reference.
    haha. was going to comment on that but since u have already changed airline. KL transfer from the main terminal to the budget is not a good option... physically they are very close yet they make u take a big detour to the other terminal that's messy and crowded..

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    haha. was going to comment on that but since u have already changed airline. KL transfer from the main terminal to the budget is not a good option... physically they are very close yet they make u take a big detour to the other terminal that's messy and crowded..
    I knew I had to make a physical transfer, and I knew there was no train or anything sensible, but I had not realised how anyone could manage to make it QUITE so far by road. We spent 20+ minutes going at freeway speeds (plus some mucking about at each end) to go a distance that would have taken perhaps 1 minute to walk (if it were allowed). Incredible.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5