Like Tree4Likes

Anyone been to Zhangjiajie? Is it worth it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone been to Zhangjiajie? Is it worth it?

I'm planning on going to Guilin/Yangshuo in a week or so. I have 5-6 days to spend so was considering tacking on a visit to Zhangjiajie. The pictures I've seen are jaw-dropping. But has anyone been there and can say if it's worth it or not? Would you say 1-2 full days are enough?

And what order should I do things? Zhangjiajie then Guilin/Yangshuo or the other way around? Keeping in mind I'm returning to HK after and want to avoid flying as much as possible

Near Guilin you could visit the Dragon bone rice terraces and also Chengyang Bridge. It does depend on the time of year though - Winter is not such a good time to go.

Also near Yangshuo are places such as Xingping and Huang Yao.

Zhangjiajie is worth seeing - you need probably 2 whole days at least, but I would combine with other places in Hunan such as Dehang and Fenghuang.

Last edited by drumbrake; 30-11-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Natfixit and Khema like this.

Thanks. Yeah winter is my only choice unfortunately so hopefully everything works out.

I was thinking of taking an overnight train from Shenzhen to Guilin. Then at least two full days in Guilin/Yangshuo.

Is there overnight transport from Guilin/Yangshuo to Zhangjiajie? I've read that there's a morning luxury bus direct from Zhangjiajie to Guilin but not sure if it goes the other way as well. If so, I would spend half of a third day in Guilin and take the bus to ZJJ. Maybe spend 2 whole days then night transport back to Hong Kong.

The big problem seems to be transport back to HK. A friend of mine took an overnight train from Zhangjiajie to Guangzhou and then a bus back to HK. Is this the best way?

This train goes from Zhangjiajie to Shenzhen.

Train K9063/K9066 from Tongren to ShenZhen West - China train schedule

I'm not sure about the bus from Guilin to Zhangjiajie - it would be quite a long journey. No direct train.

Yangshuo is nicer than Gulin. Spend time there.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Yangshuo is nicer than Gulin.
    Yangshou is much nicer than Guilin
    drumbrake likes this.

Just been there recently, like two weeks ago.

Two nights in Zhangjiajie, then bus it to Guilin - get there very early or book ahead for the Li river cruise - 8am to book and pay up front at CIT, cost 300Y for a bamboo boat - forget the big boat as it costs 400Y and takes all day - 2 hrs on a bamboo plus a short stop is enough. They make a quick stop for loo and drinks and some food. Finish at Xingping - lovely village, but take the bus back - included in tour - to Yangshou, spend two nights, the full day spend hiking, party at night. My travel partner did not want to stay so we ended up goingback to Guilin, so I will defo go back to Yangshou. Google Lonely Planet for hotels as good ones are few.
    You can always take a bus back to Guilin - 30Y, 1 hr.
    note, take the soft sleeper overnight to shenzen - costs 444Y for soft, do not take the hard sleeper - 295Y is not worth it unless you are extremely exhausted that you pass out immediately in a deep sleep, have heavy duty earplugs, and can handle ciggie smoke for 11 hrs in your couchette.

I am sooo glad I booked at least a day in advance for the soft sleeper, as you have a quieter carriage, bkf is provided for 10Y but after seeing the chef cook eggs with a fag in the other hand, I forwent. Boiling water is avail all night sotake a mug with some teabags or coffee sachets, and pot noodles.
    Night train leaves Guilin about 8:30 - 9pm - times change so always get there no later than 30 mins beforehand.

At shenzen, just go through passport control and take the MTR to HK city. Costs no more than 40.50HK$ .
    there is a lovely park in Guilin just over the bridge where you can spend all day for 45Y. just don't get too close to the monkeys.

also, the street food hawkers - spicy but tasty stuff. I ate no probs although some may have a problem with spicy food.

Google Wiki travel but I rely on Lonely Planet as they seem to be up to date, and more direct, aka honest in their findings.

Last edited by Natfixit; 30-11-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Obaing2011 likes this.

How long was the bus from Zhangjiajie to Guilin?

Thanks for the great info. I'm assuming you went from HK to Zhangjiajie? Care to share the details of that route too?

Bus to Changsha is about 3.5 hrs, cost about 130Y . Then at Changsha take the train - unsure of hours - to Guilin. A bus will take about 5 hrs.

From HK. Take the MTR to shenzen, and then train to Guangzhou. Guangzhou does a route twice a day, about 23 hrs to Zhangjiajie. Costs vary so check with tix office.

Last edited by Natfixit; 01-12-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast