Two laptops

Closed Thread

Two laptops

Hi,
    My friend told me that HK Immi only allowed only one laptop per person. I already have one but want to buy another one in HK.
    Can i carry both of them to India. How? "Legally". Pratical and Implementable suggestions are welcome.

Funnie

I can't see any reason why Immigration would have anything to say about laptops (and if you're going through the e-channel you don't speak to them anyway).

There is no outbound customs control in HK, so Customs won't be interested.

Airport Security is only interested in you meeting the carry-on restrictions (one bag 22*14*9) + laptop (and if you have status with the airline you are travelling with they can give you a tag that exempts you from these restrictions).

The place where you might well have a problem is inbound customs in India; if you plan to import one or both laptops to India (i.e. leave them there) then legally there will be an import duty to pay. I have been told that anyone looking Indian taking laptops into the country has a good chance of being asked to prove that it is not being imported (i.e. that it was previously taken out of India). Carrying two laptops is doubly likely to arouse their suspicion.

On the other hand, I am told that business-looking gwailos can carry laptops into India with no problem at all.

Funnie - no problems. Like PDLM said, the problem would be in India. Make sure you have business cards which show an overseas work address on hand.

The only time I was harrassed, I told them, I'm leaving my equipment with you folks, give me a receipt and someone from Tata will come in and pick it up tommorrow. I'll explain to them why I have had to cancel my morning meeting.

Agree with all . The one laptop is in ref to carry on as most airlines allow a laptop in a case to NOT count as carry on luggage. You can carry what you like in you checked baggage.

HOWEVER - please remember to check your destinations AIRPORT rules about laptop bags. FYI -- the UK you can only carry on one bag PERIOD.