Trip to Vietnam Travel Agent Recomendation or Other Recomendations

Trip to Vietnam Travel Agent Recomendation or Other Recomendations

I am planning a trip to Vietnam with my wife and 2 boys ages 4 and 7. We are new to Asia and have never been to Vietnam. I am looking for any recomendations for places to stay as well as things to do and see. Not sure if we will do southern, or northern or both. We are planning on taking about 5-6 days over spring break. Beach is always good but it seems like everywhere we have been to so far revolves around a beach. So I am open to staying in a city for part of the trip.

Any must see's or must do's

Thanks in advance

Also thinking about using a travel agent any recomendations.

Ryan

I prefer Hanoi over Saigon. Also in central Vietnam is Hoi An, Hue and Danang.

When is spring break? Hanoi can be quite chilly at this time of year. I've not been to Hanoi yet, we did have a good time in Saigon. A cyclo tour is good fun (bicycle rickshaw). The boys might enjoy the Cu Chi tunnels, an excursion not far away. They are tunnels dug by the Viet Cong during the Vietnam war which have been made bigger so that tourists can explore. Not for the claustrophobic though!

I liked Sapa, it's as far from the beach as possible. You can go hiking, take a guided tour through one of the ethnic minority villages (stunning valley) and visit Bac Ha market (weekend only).
    Travel from Hanoi by overnight train (Ratraco soft sleeper), takes around 9 hours and saves you money for a night in a hotel. Recommended place to stay in Sapa: Victoria Sapa Resort and Spa
    We visited Bac Ha on the last day, so instead of returning to Sapa we got dropped off at the train station in Lao Cai and returned directly to Hanoi from there.

Alternatively spend a few days in Hanoi but make sure to include a cruise through Halong Bay (2 days), I recommend to choose the stay at a hotel on Cat Ba island instead of on the boat, then you can walk around the promenade or chill out at one of the bars/restaurants.
    Just book the tour in Hanoi, it includes all transport, hotel/boat stay, food etc., I think we paid USD30 per head a couple of years back. Prices at the harbor are said to be more expensive and you need to get there on your own first.

Last edited by Raccon; 18-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Booked for Hanoi this Easter but just used Trip Advisor and a couple of guide books to work out where to stay/what to do etc. I did looks at deals Swire Travel were offering (with a so-called corporate discount) but I could easily negotiate a better rate myself booking the same flights and hotel direct.

if u go to ho chi minh city, the food is great but the air pollution is slightly heavy at daytime. park hyatt is the hotel i stayed last year but it is not so value for money.