Like Tree16Likes

Chocolates in Hand Bag - US flights

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Did you read the news about the US government even refused to allow a US citizen boarding a flight from Tunisia back to the USA because he was helping a medical team in Libya? His name was some how ended up on the US "no fly list". Now the only choice he has is to return to the USA by boat. I can't believe the US is getting so paranoid even at its own citizen.

On the other hand, weren't most of those terrorists setting off bombs at the subway (the Tube) in London, born and raised in the UK - home grown?

Last edited by Renotommy; 07-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    dear giant and Watercooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:

On the other hand, weren't most of those terrorists setting off bombs at the subway (the Tube) in London, born and raised in the UK - home grown?
    Yes. And haven't some atrocities in the US (eg Oklahoma) also been committed by locals?

Edit: I know this was discussed at length before and is not really anything to do with topic. The anti-food thing is to protect agriculture no?
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 07-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What issues? An attack of the munchies?

Considering that boxes of chocolates are sold at duty free stores in airports, I'd be more than a little surprised at customs having any problems with them.
    They usually ask to open the package and inspect the candy or in some cases (with certain Japanese candy) they confiscate them. I have only had issues in SFO on the way in. I usually fly out of DFW with Candy, Pecan Pie's, Meat etc and have never had issues. The TSA at LAX usually ask a few questions but have never bothered me.

Edit: I know this was discussed at length before and is not really anything to do with topic. The anti-food thing is to protect agriculture no?

Yes Sue, it is. However, I had seen some Chinese woman trying to bring a LIVE fish (in a plastic bag with water) through custom after a flight from HK and that was a "shocker".

Even coming into California, there are "fruit and vegetable check" stations at the border, making sure that NO other STATE plant, fruit, vegetable to enter California. If you drive a Florida license plate vehicle, the agent will really harass you and check your vehicle thoroughly.

I guess the US government is getting more and more paranoid about the home grown (or naturalized) US citizen terrorists - like Tim McVey (sp?). Especially after seeing what had happened in London, the "no fly list" has grown a lot longer.

My elderly aunt was taken aside as they found an apple in her bag on entry to LA - BUT the guard was, in her words, a perfect gentleman and she was given only a mild rebuke.

If you think US is bad, try taking any foodstuffs into Australia - or rather, DON'T!

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    If you think US is bad, try taking any foodstuffs into Australia - or rather, DON'T!
    You beat me to it.

DON'T! Really, really DON'T!

The question from the OP though was about carry-on. The customs stuff covers both carryon and hold baggage - so it's irrelevant which you put it in, you still have to declare food.

Carryon should be fine as long as it's not liquid chocolate. They are currently only targetting liquids and creams .... so don't let it melt!

Indeed, however the hypocritical b******s let you choose from a wide variety of Australia's flora & fauna in the departure duty free shops!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

My elderly aunt was taken aside as they found an apple in her bag on entry to LA - BUT the guard was, in her words, a perfect gentleman and she was given only a mild rebuke.

That happened to me too. Last year while driving back from Canada, in our RV an orange happened to roll out of the bag and hid behind the fridge drawer. The customs agent found it and threatened to fine me $300. I told her it was an obvious honest mistake because I sure wouldn't try to SMUGGLE one single orange into the country intentionally. She too, "scolded" me but did not fine me after all. Whew!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:

Yes Sue, it is. However, I had seen some Chinese woman trying to bring a LIVE fish (in a plastic bag with water) through custom after a flight from HK and that was a "shocker".

Even coming into California, there are "fruit and vegetable check" stations at the border, making sure that NO other STATE plant, fruit, vegetable to enter California. If you drive a Florida license plate vehicle, the agent will really harass you and check your vehicle thoroughly.

I guess the US government is getting more and more paranoid about the home grown (or naturalized) US citizen terrorists - like Tim McVey (sp?). Especially after seeing what had happened in London, the "no fly list" has grown a lot longer.
    Well, the terrorist that are of the greatest concern at these check stations are fruit flies and other pests that can travel on produce from other states. California agriculture accounted for $37.5 US billion in 2010. It's HUGE business and it's a lot easier to prevent a pest from entering than trying to get rid of it after is has already arrived.

Per the California State Government website:
    California's agricultural abundance includes more than 400 commodities. The state produces nearly half of U.S.-grown fruits, nuts and vegetables. Across the nation, U.S. consumers regularly purchase several crops produced solely in California.
    You could make a case that protecting the country's food supply is a national security issue.