Like Tree16Likes

Chocolates in Hand Bag - US flights

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    You need to have TSA friendly locks or leave your luggage unlocked on all US flights. They do cut locks or in some cases look through your bags and leave one lock undone causing the suitcase frame to get bent out of shape or the contents spill out.

@Method
    That is indeed true as well. I was once told by a Indian guy working at Cathay (LAX) that it always helps to have a name/address sticker on all checked in luggage as if they see regular American or Western name ..they are less likely to bother opening your suitcases especially on flights to and fro Asia.
    Unfortunately neither of us was aware of the lock regulations, and her HR dept. didn't warn her either.

Her luggage was labelled, also unfortunately with an Asian surname.

Soiled underwear going missing is plain bizarre, maybe the officer was a little kinky!

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Just before Xmas last year my wife was flying from Toronto to Boston.

On collecting her luggage she found that the locks had been cut off her brand new suitcase, insurance company had no interest in paying out but Samsonite said they saw so much of this they replaced the locks for free, and one of two sealed packets of dried salted tangerine peel had been confiscated. Why only one is still a mystery.

That combined with extreme rudeness bordering on aggression at immigration did not create a very good image of that country at all.
    Chicago is a much friendlier entry point into the US in my experience. Pity I can't fly through there all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Stumbled over this thread.

Going there again in a month to visit family. Really like the countryside and a few of the big cities...but dread the airport BS and the internal flights.

Unfortunately neither of us was aware of the lock regulations, and her HR dept. didn't warn her either.

Her luggage was labelled, also unfortunately with an Asian surname.

Soiled underwear going missing is plain bizarre, maybe the officer was a little kinky!
    It does amaze me that anyone is UNAWARE of this. Surely you go online and check out travel websites before visiting new countries, to see if there is anything you should know about or do? If you don't bother informing yourself of these things, you really only have yourself to blame. The TSA locks issue is discussed all over the place and on airline websites etc etc.

Friggin hell you are grouchy, time of the month?

Friggin hell you are grouchy, time of the month?
    Just no time for idiots. Plenty of people fly into Australia and try and get food past customs there without "knowing" or checking the rules (which are even harder not to know about) ... those guys take no prisoners. Huge fine even for trying. Travellers like this just waste the time of everyone else behind them who do know what they are doing.

Get off your high horse woman, you ain't perfect yourself !

TheBrit likes this.

Just before Xmas last year my wife was flying from Toronto to Boston.

On collecting her luggage she found that the locks had been cut off her brand new suitcase, insurance company had no interest in paying out but Samsonite said they saw so much of this they replaced the locks for free, and one of two sealed packets of dried salted tangerine peel had been confiscated. Why only one is still a mystery.

That combined with extreme rudeness bordering on aggression at immigration did not create a very good image of that country at all.
    And people here actually thinks HK immigration is bad...they are "angels" compared to American immigration!

In the US, the immigration have a sadistic delight in taking out their frustration on hapless passengers. It's like they are almost encouraged to treat all passengers with hatred and disdain. I keep my mouth shut and obey all their rules whenever I enter the US, but even then, I am often accosted for no reason other than being a foreigner.

And the American tourism industry actually wonders why foreign tourists are avoiding the US???
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-02-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Get off your high horse woman, you ain't perfect yourself !
    You may be right but at least she isnt breaking any laws:
    Ignorantia juris non excusat

With all this talk about US customs and immigration, I have to chime about Indian customs. The guys in Mumbai recently gave me a hard time about carrying a laptop and an iPad and two old ancient blackberries. Apparently you are allowed only a laptop duty free and iPads are considered luxury items. Gaaah!! when are they going to learn that we carry e-readers in lieu of books and magazines.