Getaway in Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Everywhere via taxi in the Philippines is expensive. Take it from me. I was born and lived there there until a month ago... The currency exchange rate is favorable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    According to their Contact Us page they have a reservations office in Makati City, so you could talk to them if you're there, or even by email/phone they almost certainly have an arrangement with some transport that can take you there from Manila.
    I've sent them an email asking about availability and transport. Reading a few other sites, there are buses that ply to San Juan and then you can take a jeepney (or, for us, a cab I hope!) to the resort. Personally I'd rather hire a car but MrMin is dead-set against that idea. Any views on car hire in Phils?

Boracay is nice and better. Try and check davao the pearl farm too is nice and warm.

Loved Palawan (El Nido resort) but VERY expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Personally I'd rather hire a car but MrMin is dead-set against that idea. Any views on car hire in Phils?
    If you mean self-drive then I wouldn't do it. You're too easy a target for shakedowns by police (of various sorts), people faking accidents, etc. If you mean with a driver, then yes, I'd have no problem with that from a reputable source (e.g. through the hotel).
    Last edited by PDLM; 16-02-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Any suggestions for a weekend getaway at the end of February - ideally looking for something "luxury" like a pool villa but at a discount or good price. Any ideas? Any groupon or other coupons people seen? Any great places yet to be discovered by the mass market that are still affordable?

Targeting Phils as I'll be there in the week with MrMin on business, so we can avoid the international airfare......
    It depends on what you're after. If it's the night life at the beach, then by all means, go to Boracay. If it's tranquility, I'd recommend pagudpud. Scuba diving and snorkling, it is best to go to Anilao, Batangas. PM me if you need more info. Several Filipino friends have gone everywhere in the Philippines, they can help in finding a good travel bargain.

Thanks everyone. With cathays tickets it turned out we could include a philipines airline one-way to Cebu and direct (well timed) return to HK for the same price as the return to manila, so I've booked that and booked a room at the plantation bay resort and spa .... Let's see how that turns out!
    Acuatico were full unfortunately and with the transfer it would actually involve more transit than a flight!