Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Beanieskis
  • 1 Post By drumbrake

Cheapest way from HK to Kathmandu

Closed Thread

Cheapest way from HK to Kathmandu

I plan to travel to Kathmandu in November the cheapest flight I found was through expedia around $5,340HKD return changing at Deli. I have researched different ways to travel there like taking a flight to Dhaka/Delhi and then taking a train to Kathmandu but the travel cost still works out the same. Can anyone suggest a cheaper way to travel there even by part way flying and rest overland. Time will not be such an issue because I will be taking 6 months out to travel so stopping at other places will be a bonus but the important thing is keeping travel cost down.

put one foot in front of the other and repeat

Hi, A train really? I don't think there is even a train station in KTM. Bus is the only other realistic alternative. You can probably get to a place called Lumbini in Nepal near the Indian / Nepali border. It is a popular destination being the birthplace of the Buddha. There is likely a bus from there to Kathmandu. You can also break up that trip with Chitwan or somewhere in between. There are not many roads in Nepal. (Roads that I would want to be in, try stay away from Night buses) Travel safe.

Hk - Dhaka - KTM is probably the cheapest flight you will get (Bangladesh Airlines) or try Royal Nepal Airlines which is quite cheap but unreliable (constant flight delays as they only have like 2 planes) haahaa. Try to find a local travel agent and ask them from the specials, much better than searching online.

If you interested in visiting India then go there 1st, travel to the border and get a bus to KTM, your looking at anywhere from 8-14 hours (dont get a seat above the wheels).

You'll probably get better and more knowledgeable advice on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum.

I've been using skyscanner.net recently give it a try its quite good.

China Southern from Guanghzou to Kathmandu. Train from HK to Guanghzou

East_coast likes this.

Sitang,

As wtbhotia said either dragon air (hk-dhaka-ktm) or nepal airlines (direct flight) is best option. You can also go via india.
    Hk-Delhi (india) by plane. India > nepal by train > travel by bus from Lumbini(nepal birthplace of buddha) > chitwan ( jungle safari)> kathmandu. Dont forget to go pokhara. Beautiful place.

There are some nepal travel agencies in hk. See standard.

Going overland to Kunming and then flying from there is a more interesting journey.

shafiq likes this.