First time to Thailand

deleteduser

First time to Thailand

My wife and I are planning to join her sister and her BF on a trip to Thailand at the end of October. None of us have been there, so it should be fun and exciting.

Her sister is an employee of a large hotel chain, so we can stay at any of their hotels at a significantly reduced cost. This is a good deal, but limits our choices of places to stay. However, since I have never been to any of these places, I wouldn't know which to choose anyway.

Our choices are:

Bangkok
    Phuket
    Pattaya
    Krabi

Based upon what I've read, each of these areas offer a significantly different experience. The thing is, I am not even sure what I am most interested in, let alone the friends I will be with. One thing is certain, based on what I heard, Pattaya isn't at the top of my list.

If anyone can offer some advice comparing each of these destinations, I would be very grateful. So far, I think Phuket seems like the best choice. I think we'll be spending a lot of time at beaches, and there seems to be a lot to choose from. But Krabi also seems nice, being more 'out of the way'. I would love to rent a kayak and paddle around those amazing limestone formations... Bangkok seems like more of a 1 or 2 day kind of place to visit, but I may be wrong.

Oh, on one of these days, our sister and her bf will be celebrating their anniversary. So they'll be taking off on their own for a day, so consider that they'll probably want to go somewhere romantic

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to Bangkok, I would recommmend the Triple Two at 222 Silom Road which is a relatively small hotel, good sixed, very clean rooms, attentive but not in your face staff and not full of crowds (the breakfast area holds about 10 tables so not scrum for any food).

I used to stay at other hotels on Silom Road when going for work, and now stay this one every time. a lot more pleasant experience than the big chain hotels in my opinion.

Also close to Silom Village with reasonable seafood BBQ/grills and 'legit' clean massage place

http://www.tripletwosilom.com/

Last edited by paulmears; 17-09-2007 at 06:03 PM.

i have been to Krabi (A nang)and phuket (Kota beach) I much preferred Krabi. Just the layout of the town, the bars,the seafood restaurants overlooking the beach, more cocktails, great thai massage and reflexology places,Heaps of day trips to do and lots to see. I am not much of a shopper but there is plenty of tourist shops and a few quality shops at both places.
    the only trouble with Krabi is a change of planes in Bangkok but personally I think it is worth it.

Bangkok has the temples and the palace and the river. It is a gateway to the mountains and ancient cities. If you are looking for a beach experience, you won't find it here.

i would say Krabi if u want a relaxing holiday sit by the beach and just relax, i'm from bkk, so its very busy here traffic jam everywhere but lotss of shopping to do. Pattaya, dont go there. its a very tourist town we hardly ever ever go there. Phuket is good i dont mind phuket lovely place but i haven't been there for years. not sure how it is now. so if u want to shop come to bkk. if u want relaxing holiday krabi or phuket

hope that help

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatekisses:
    i would say Krabi if u want a relaxing holiday sit by the beach and just relax, i'm from bkk, so its very busy here traffic jam everywhere but lotss of shopping to do. Pattaya, dont go there. its a very tourist town we hardly ever ever go there. Phuket is good i dont mind phuket lovely place but i haven't been there for years. not sure how it is now. so if u want to shop come to bkk. if u want relaxing holiday krabi or phuket

hope that help
    That was very helpful and informative, thanks!