Like Tree46Likes

What to do and see in Bangkok?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Do visit the temple of reclining Buddha and other such temples in BKK.

mercury_element likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    Street food: Fried chicken, banana pancakes, fresh juice, fried chicken, and more fried chicken.
    I once got the worst food poisoning ever in my like from a BKK fried chicked bought from a street vendor. I will NEVER do that ever again. Now just walking past one makes me feel sick to the stomach...

me thinks this q would be better served in sites like tripadvisor - unless of course there's a geoexpat bangkok site?

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    I once got the worst food poisoning ever in my like from a BKK fried chicked bought from a street vendor. I will NEVER do that ever again. Now just walking past one makes me feel sick to the stomach...
    I also got really sick a couple of times in Thailand but back in the 90's.

Since then my stomach must be now pretty ironclad. I've eaten in many places around the world that most people wouldn't think of and no problems.

I fact I seek out them to try some local foods.

Mercury, also check out travelwiki. Best free travel guide on the net.

Bangkok travel guide - Wikitravel

Edit: Also be prepared that Immigration can take 2 hours to get through at Bangkok airport. I just read it somewhere.
    Last edited by virago; 22-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Re immigration and security, yes, things are a bit bad in Bangkok at the moment. This is partly due to them refurbishing the airport and partly due to extra security in Bangkok due to recent bombings.

So things will take a bit longer than usual.

Look at these Flyertalk threads for more up to date information:

Immigration Delays Departing BKK - FlyerTalk Forums

Warning on current immigration clearance time - FlyerTalk Forums

I did the Tiger Temple last time I was in Bangkok the mini bus journey was about 4 hours but it was worth it, got to get up close and personal with live Adult and cub Tigers. Also the Floating Markets maybe.
    But other then that its mainly Ko san road then if you want to go to the dodgy places its Nana and So Cowboy in Sukumvit district.

M_E don't forget to carry your passport size pictures (min 2), if you are going for visa on arrival. Else you'll have to pay some good amount of cash at the airport to get two lousy pictures. Also, do carry 2-3000 bahts, as the immigration accepts bahts only for visa fee, which could be around 1500 and you would need some money to pay the cabbie.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    Public transport I understand is tuk-tuk. it goes by meter or we negotiate first?
    There is also the Skytrain (BTS I think) and the metro (MRT). If you are around the more central areas of the city in particular the BTS is pretty good. It will also take you out to the weekend market generally more quickly than a cab (which are metered, but sometimes you must convince the driver to turn it on) or a tuktuk (no meter).

Grand Palace for photos and MBK for cheap shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    M_E don't forget to carry your passport size pictures (min 2), if you are going for visa on arrival. Else you'll have to pay some good amount of cash at the airport to get two lousy pictures. Also, do carry 2-3000 bahts, as the immigration accepts bahts only for visa fee, which could be around 1500 and you would need some money to pay the cabbie.

What nationality is this a requirement for?