Frequent Flyer; oneworld (AsiaMiles) vs Star Alliance

Frequent Flyer; oneworld (AsiaMiles) vs Star Alliance

thanks for the info.. I'm currently an AsiaMiles member

wanted to ask ppl here about StarAlliance vs. oneworld.

I'll be flying within North America, from Vancouver to San Fran, YVR to LA and YVR to NYC. Also, I'll be flying 4-5 times a year from YVR to HKG.

I'm torn between StarAlliance and oneworld. Both have pros and cons.

StarAlliance:
    - flying mainly Air Canada (within Canada and to HKG) and United (within US)
    - no AsiaMiles
    - i'd prefer to fly Cathay (newer planes, better service) when going to Asia
    - however, tickets are usually cheaper allround

oneworld
    - flying mainly American Airlines (within US) and Cathay (to Asia)
    - AsiaMiles
    - tickets are usually more expensive

other things i have to take into consideration are:
    - i'll be flying within Canada, from Vancouver to Toronto and Montreal
    - i'll be flying to Europe (France and Spain) occasionally (2-3 times a year)
    - i'd like to do some travelling within SouthEast Asia (Japan, Taiwan, Thailand) as well...

keeping all these things in mind, does anybody have any comments as to whether or not to join either StarAlliance or oneworld? any other frequent flyer plans that are recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Thailand and several other destinations in Asia are serviced by StarAlliance carriers .. Thai and Singapore Airlines for South east Asia and Asiana and ANA for North ...

Last edited by KnowItAll; 03-10-2007 at 09:27 AM.

go with star alliance

...in particular go with united's mileage program as they require fewer points to redeem flights. for example, to fly north asia to east coast USA/Canada you need only 60K points whereas on air canada's aeroplan (both are part of star alliance btw) you need 75K..25% more.

so dont' worry about the different group plans, look into the individual airline mileage plans. keep in mind you don't actually need to fly United to redeem those miles, you can fly any of the airlines within star alliance, using United's mileage requirements to fly, not the airline you want to fly on. united airlines sucks anyway, but you can fly HKG to YVR on air canada using your united flyer points.

hope this helps. happy travels!

The only place American flies from YVR is DFW (last time I looked) which would be a pain for you. They have codeshares on Alaska on some of the routes you want, and QF flies YVR-SFO seasonally. But I can't see that OneWorld really makes sense on this pattern - you'd be doing a fair bit of inefficient flying (YVR-YYZ via JFK at odd hours, for example) just so that you can take CX across the Pacific.

You'd get a lot more advice on this over at the Flyertalk forums... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

Last edited by PDLM; 03-10-2007 at 10:01 AM.

If u are flying so much u can join both and earn Platinum levels in both. Definately join United as their mileage plus is better or Singapore airlines in Star Alliance. CX on One World if u are flying out HK a lot

It also depends hugely on what class you are flying. If you are always in J or F then lounges and so on become irrelevant and all that really matters is the rate of earning and redeeming miles. CX is pretty bad for that. In OneWorld you would be far better off in AA in this case, even if you are doing most of your flying on CX - you'll earn miles roughly twice as fast.

Probably get on both OW and *A. There is a good chance you can get to high tier within each.

On *A, I like UA programme more.

On OW, I am not sure whether AA or CX is better for you. AA has plenty of bonus but AA miles cannot be used for upgrade redemption on CX.

I'll be taking a United flight soon and would like to join one of the Star Alliance members plans. It sounds like United's program is the best, but I only plan on flying around East/South East Asia. Would I be better off singing up for Singapore Air's program? or does it make no difference?

Also I noticed on United's site:
    More important facts about awards

* Award travel must be on a United or partner flight routing exclusively between valid cities or continents described in the United and partner awards charts, with no connections or stopovers on additional continents (or cities, where appropriate) unless otherwise noted.
    * Travel on code share flights operated by other airlines is excluded.

Am I to take this code share clause as referring only to flights operated by non Star Alliance members such as Alaska Air? So that I would be able to gain and use miles with all Star Alliance member airlines.

Last edited by mike2525; 03-04-2008 at 10:46 AM.