Like Tree16Likes

Easiest way to go from LHR to Cambridge?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Easiest way to go from LHR to Cambridge?

I'm planning to visit a friend in Cambridge over the weekend, with my flight arriving early tomorrow morning UK time at LHR. What's the best way to get to Cambridge from LHR, especially when traveling with a large suitcase? I'd rather not lug it up and down a million flights of stairs if I can avoid it.

From what I've read online, the options are:
    Heathrow Express (expensive, transfer to Cambridge train at King's Cross--maybe some bag-lugging?)
    Airport bus (cheaper, takes longer, may have to transfer at Stansted, less bag lugging)
    Piccadilly Line to King's Cross, Cambridge train (cheaper, but aforementioned bag-lugging?)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by megatronic:
    I'm planning to visit a friend in Cambridge over the weekend, with my flight arriving early tomorrow morning UK time at LHR. What's the best way to get to Cambridge from LHR, especially when traveling with a large suitcase? I'd rather not lug it up and down a million flights of stairs if I can avoid it.

From what I've read online, the options are:
    Heathrow Express (expensive, transfer to Cambridge train at King's Cross--maybe some bag-lugging?)
    [...]
    Know nothing about the other airport bus etc route but yonkey YEARS ago I used to visit a friend studying in Cambridge many a time and found the King's Cross to Cambridge by train EASY, but then again I didn't lug 'round a suitcase (plus, if you buy ticket in advance they've specials - > quite OK priced, relatively...). So maybe Heathrow to King's Cross? Dunno. Better await other folks' direct experience here
    megatronic likes this.

Airport bus seems the most direct. All other options has a tube ride in between which can be a nightmare and cost a fortune.

emmie, megatronic and dipper like this.

If it was me, at that time in the morning, I wouldnt bother with all the hassle and get a prebooked cab.
    You can do it for around 85GBP

Thank you all for your replies!

House, that diagram is both kind of frightening and very useful. I checked online and the schedule for the bus claimed that it took more than 3 hours (I think there's a "fast" option that only takes a little over two, but it only runs a few times a day; maybe the "slow" one includes the transfer at Stansted). I think the bus is probably the best option--I'll be pretty zonked from the flight, so sitting in one place for a while won't be a problem.

Howard, thanks for your suggestion! I think 85GBP is a bit beyond my budget. By the time I navigate the baggage claim, it should be a slightly more reasonable hour of the morning, so the bus will hopefully be an option.

Thanks again!

Piccadilly line to King's X and then the train is straightforward (unless you have lots of luggage).

Bus costs about 30 pounds and takes 2:50 no changes. Rail station in Cambridge is far from town and you would need taxi at that end. Bus station is more central but check the dropoff points.

Crossing London by train is an exercise in stairs; best avoided!

Bus bookable online Google national express.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

megatronic likes this.

More info, train is much same price as bus. Takes 2 hours with perfect connections, underground then direct train from kings cross. But when you add the extra time to get from the station to central Cambridge (assuming that's where your friend lives) you'll pay more and take same time as the bus, with oodles more lugging and no g'tee of a seat on the Tube.
    Book the bus online and its only 26 pounds depending on which departure fits - there was 1 per hour aPprox.
    Good luck. Lovely place. Say hi from me.

megatronic likes this.

Heathrow Express gets you to Paddington so it's still another effort to get to Kings Cross, so not sure that will work. Taking the Piccadilly line to Kings Cross is probably a pretty straight shot. I think there are escalators from Piccadilly line to the Tube ticket level and then an elevator to the main lobby, but haven't been in awhile. As others mentioned you will cab out of Cambridge station probably, but I don't recall any stairs there. It's a pretty level station.

However, Kings Cross has just been massively renovated. If it was me, I'd go there just to see what it looks like.

This is the "Avoiding Stairs" map of the London Underground. It says lifts at Kings Cross so maybe that's an option.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...airs-guide.pdf

megatronic likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast