Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jw1701

Asia Miles and Citi Rewards

Closed Thread

Asia Miles and Citi Rewards

just a quick question for any of you that also do this crap...

For Citi rewards, of whioch i have over 1M points, it seems the only 2 decent offers would be for me to get Asia Miles or City Super Dollars.

1. I can get 72K Asia Miles
    2. or I can get $4,300 in City Super dollars

Any thoughts on what is better deal? What do other Citi Rewards people cash in on?

As for Asia Miles, I have 30K that will expire soon. It seems you can not change to cash, and most of the junk on there is junk. So it looks like the only options really are:
    1. 1 night at various hotels
    2. Buy flight tickets

Which is a better use for the Asia Miles? Or a better value in most cases? (generally speaking)
    Last edited by BaconBreadBaker; 25-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Asia Miles redeemed for Business Awards - eg Hong Kong to Sydney return is 90,000 Asia Miles plus taxes.

Buying the ticket out right would 30-40k (or higher) I believe.

When it comes to airline loyalty programs, never never never go for vouchers!

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

For 30 000 miles you can take a nice trip to e.g. Singapore. Plenty of flights available!

thanks for the info. but are economy/business flights a better value for redemption versus nights in a hotel? I'm still trying to review the info and do some comparisons.

My biggest concern is the Asia Miles expiring, and not being able to use them in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Molie:
    For 30 000 miles you can take a nice trip to e.g. Singapore. Plenty of flights available!
    Sounds a nice idea in principle but every time I try to book a flight by miles I'm hit with very limtied availability, and unless I am mistaken the miles required are a sliding scale - so if its a peak time even more miles required. Then you get hit with the taxes and surchages nad it doesn't seem like such a giveaway.

Long Haul and Business Class will yield the best value (and likely better availability than economy too). Hotel stays will likely not be great value by comparison.

Agree with the others - Long Haul Flight.

Do this - book a long haul flight to somewhere you want to go. You don't need to FLY within the expiry time, only book the ticket. Then, when you know your exact dates later, move the ticket to the right date.

These tickets have a 1 yr limitation, so provided you can think of somewhere you want to go in the next year it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Agree with the others - Long Haul Flight.

Do this - book a long haul flight to somewhere you want to go. You don't need to FLY within the expiry time, only book the ticket. Then, when you know your exact dates later, move the ticket to the right date.

These tickets have a 1 yr limitation, so provided you can think of somewhere you want to go in the next year it makes sense.
    is there any fees to reschedule the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    is there any fees to reschedule the ticket?
    Try and plan ahead if you can, I don't believe there are fees to change dates but there must be availability in the Award Fare Class to allow you to change.