Diving the barrier reef

Diving the barrier reef

Anyone dived the barrier reef lately? Looking for recommendations on land based diving trip providers or short (1 or 2 night live aboards).

Any recommendations on hotels in the area also appreciated.

Cheers

The barrier reef is big. Did you have a locale in mind?

Well I was thinking heading out from Cairns for the diving but I will be driving up from the Whitsundays so if you can recommend a great location along that stretch of coast please let me know. I would love to combine sailing with diving if that is possible.

don't know if it is unless you take tanks out with you in the Whitsundays. I have friends who sail there regularly but I don't know if they dive as well as I am not sure if you can get boats with compressors.

Anyway, I have only dived from day boats from Cairns and although I enjoyed it (I dive in HK so am easily pleased), the parts of the reef visited by the days boats aren't as good as those reached by liveaboards. Also, most day boats are packed full of backpackers doing discover scuba etc. Still I had fun.

I have heard good things about Mike Ball's Spoilsport and Spirit of Freedom - latter goes to Cod Hole.

Cairns is definitely the best place. I haven't heard any comments from Mike Ball since he has moved from Townsville to Cairns - but I do know he was getting good reviews a few years ago.

How long are you going to be in Queensland? Do you intend to spend much time in Cairns? Considered doing Port Douglas? Great hotels there - a wide range of prices. But depends on when you are going - school holidays start in December, so you will have to book soon if you plan to go in December or January.

Doing liveaboards starts to get very expensive. You could try some of the smaller day-dive boats, like HABA Dive out of Port Douglas - they have a great boat, but are smaller and more personal than the big Great Adventures boats.

Which part of Hong Kong is that?

In 2004 I spent 10 days sailing the Whitsunday Islands on a 40 foot yacht with a group of other young adults, lots of fun. We thought we could go under the water and see beautiful corral anywhere, we were mistaken. So yes you do want to find a good place.

Actually Crocodile we are going to be concentrating on the Cairns area rather than doing the originally planned long drive up the coast. Whitsundays next time ...
    Will follow up on the recommendation for the dive boat and the staying in Port Douglas.

Cheers