Like Tree1Likes

Flight to Houston

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flight to Houston

I need your advise! We need to fly to Houston (Texas) at the end of October and don't know which connection we should take.
    We would prefer an airline that belongs to Star Alliance so we can finally get the frequent traveller status at the end of this year.
    I checked United, they have a route via Tokio and then direct flight to Houston. That sounds good to me because we skip the risk of missing our connecting flight because of long immigration queues in SF or LA. Can you recommend this route? Anyone done that before?
    The only problem is: we don't like United :-(

No one likes United. LAX is a nightmare in general and specifically moving between the international and domestic terminals is a test of your mental strength and physical endurance. SFO has the most delays in the US due to the frequent fog. Narita is a first-world airport, but why would you even consider a layover when a direct flight is available?
    Last edited by huja; 18-07-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Which airline is flying direct from Hong Kong to Houston??? That would be our solution!

Quote Originally Posted by pumi23:
    Which airline is flying direct from Hong Kong to Houston??? That would be our solution!
    I'm sorry, I misread a sentence. I'm not sure anyone flies direct and you would know better than I since you've done your research. I did a quick search on Kayak.com for 1-stop HKG-IAH and Air Canada has a flight via Toronto that costs less than United and is still Star Alliance.

ok, was already excited there is a direct flight :-(
    I will check out Air Canada if their schedule is suitable. Are they better than United? Never flown with Air Canada before.

ok, was already excited there is a direct flight :-(
    I will check out Air Canada if their schedule is suitable. Are they better than United? Never flown with Air Canada before.
    You just have to get used to the trolley dollies saying "eh!" after every sentence.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

. . . standing on the side of the road with your thumb raised, waiting for a car to pick you up is a better way to travel than flying United ;-). Okay to be fair their economy seats are better than Cathay (which has been discussed on other threads). The business class is comfortable, esp upstairs. What sucks is the service and food. Actually it's been years since I've flown Air Canada and I've never had to transit in Toronto. Someone with recent experience want to chime in on that?

If you are not wed to Star Alliance airlines, there are well-regarded airlines that fly in the other direction with one stop, i.e. Emirites.

WOW Air Canada's flight schedule is terrible. We would need to stay overnight in Toronto on both flights.

WOW Air Canada's flight schedule is terrible. We would need to stay overnight in Toronto on both flights.
    To pass the time in Toronto, four words for you: Hockey Hall of Fame.

I would take United via Narita.

Something to consider when you arrive in the US from abroad is that you have to go through customs the first place you land. That means when you land in LAX or SFO, you have to retrieve your luggage, go through customs with it and then give it back to the airline rep before walking to the gate of your connecting flight.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    . . . standing on the side of the road with your thumb raised, waiting for a car to pick you up is a better way to travel than flying United ;-). Okay to be fair their economy seats are better than Cathay (which has been discussed on other threads). The business class is comfortable, esp upstairs. What sucks is the service and food. Actually it's been years since I've flown Air Canada and I've never had to transit in Toronto. Someone with recent experience want to chime in on that?

If you are not wed to Star Alliance airlines, there are well-regarded airlines that fly in the other direction with one stop, i.e. Emirites.
    Dubai to Houston is 16 hours though!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast