Malaysian Airline to Maldives

Wink Malaysian Airline to Maldives

Well, will be using Malaysian Airlines to Maldives in 2 months time, good or bad experiences about this Airline would be highly appreciated.

I still have time to change the airline if its too good to the given standard. Checked out the rating lately and this airline was voted a 5 star airline.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinzz21:
    Well, will be using Malaysian Airlines to Maldives in 2 months time, good or bad experiences about this Airline would be highly appreciated.

I still have time to change the airline if its too good to the given standard. Checked out the rating lately and this airline was voted a 5 star airline.
    Meh.. Flying on Malaysia Airlines feels like a wanna be Singapore Airlines. They kinda wear the same outfits, with the same kinda feel, but just slightly shabbier, a bit less polished.

Service wise - they're ok. On Business Class - I'd prob put them on par with Cathay and Thai. A step above Dragonair and definately much better than China Air or Air India. But Singapore Airlines it aint. You still should be pretty comfortable, so enjoy your holiday.

well, I sometimes actually prefer to fly MH than CX as I felt somehow the seat is bigger in MH's EY. I got stuck in CX's seat before with no leg room because there was some silly thing below the seat in front - prob some emergency equipmient. For a tall guy the space below the seat is very important to me

Service wise, I would think thats is on par with CX/SQ/TG. Definitely better than the Chinese airlines

Business class - don't know as I'm not rich enough to fly it frequent. All I know its very nice for all airlines when I got upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by kevinzz21:
    Well, will be using Malaysian Airlines to Maldives in 2 months time, good or bad experiences about this Airline would be highly appreciated
    I am doing this exact trip tomorrow (back in Jan) so will give you my thoughts when I get back.

Thanks for the information guys, appreciated.

Pekkerhead, enjoy your holidays and I look forward to your comments when you are back from the Paradise!

Any body else would like to comments on this particular airline? Please feel free to jump in!!

We went with MH to the Maldives in Oct. 2006. The trip from HK to Male (via KL) was absolutely fine.
    The return trip (via Colombo & KL) was a night mare. On the [plane from Male to Colombo and onward to KL the call buttons of one row were out of order. Nobody was able to sleep (departure time from male after 10pm) because of the constant "Gong, Gong, Gong" sound in the cabin. Despite numerous complaints from several passengers the problem continued during the whole journey (Male-Col and Col-KL). We stayed on the plane in Colombo while it was "cleaned". The already used blankets were not changed, the crew only fluffed them up a little for further use by the newly embarking passengers.
    Leg room on MH is plenty, a lot better than CX.

okay so I just got back and can confirm the HK to KL leg is better than the KL to Male bit. They have a good on-demand video/tv system on the first leg as it is a big boeing 777. The KL to Male is a smaller airbus, bit more cramped and not as comfortable but the food in both legs pretty gross.

Other than the food though the only gripe I really have is the flight timings. The KL to Male flights gets you in late (9:15) which is too late to go onward to your resort unless you are based in the Male Atoll. So we spent the first night in an expensive but decidely below average hotel in Male (Hotel Fresco).

Going home we were looking forward to the prospect of having to kill 7 hours in Male waiting for our outward flight. It's a long time to kill when you have 2 young kids in tow, but if you are by yourself then it is easier to head over to Male and do a bit of exploring. Thankfully our seaplane transfer was nearly 2 hours late so we just got to chill out on the resort for a bit longer. The airport at Male has a small kids playground and there is a Movenpick cafe which help things along. Behind departures though it is much improved since my last trip in '99 (a whole new addition to the terminal building with some OK shops and a Dome cafe which serves good food (compared to downstairs in the main terminal building).

The return leg via Columbo was a big pain (I concur with Elle although we didn't have the aircraft problems). The layover in Columbo adds 1.5 to 2 hours to an already tiresome journey. It was a real breath of fresh air to get back on the Jumbo for the KL to HK leg.

Overall, OK, nothing special. Singapore airlines go there too but the return flight leaves even later (about 23:30 I think) than the MA one, so not sure how much quicker it would be overall.

Malaysia Airline to Maldives

Thanks for the details info Pekkerhead. Guess, now its my turn to take the opportunity.

By the way, where did you stayed in Maldives as where I'm going to stay (hotel) does not require saplane transfer and hopefully, I should get to the hotel straight after I reached MALE airport (via spead boat)

Thanks!

i stayed at Angaga in the South Ari Atoll - takes 3 hours by speedboat so plane was a must. I stayed at Meerufenfushi (North Male Atoll) in '99 and it was an hour by speedboat - easy to get to in comparison.