Most stable Macau ferry?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most stable Macau ferry?

I dread going to Macau, even though I like the place, because I have very bad motion sickness. My parents are coming to HK soon and want to do a Macau trip so I have to go again. The times I have been before have been mixed as far as how rough the sea was but the majority had me in a cold sweat and eventually losing my lunch.

Was wondering if any of the ferries in particular are a bit more stable and if there are can you specifically book tickets for those ones?

I have tried the motion sickness pills you can buy at 711 but all they did was sap the energy out of me and make me feel like crap for the rest of the day.

TurboJet is the only way to go by water, in my opinion, as they use Boeing Jetfoils, and generally cut through the sea like a hot knife through butter... If you suffer motion sickness, drinking ginger ale can also help quite a bit, in reducing that nauseous sensation. https://service.turbojetbooking.com/webbooking2/

Another alternative would be to chopper it in, getting one of the weekend helicopter/hotel packages and doing something a little different that your parents might get a memorable kick out of. Sky Shuttle Helicopters Daily Flights between HK - Macau & Macau - Shenzhen / Holidays with Friends

I second turbojet.

Comfortable ride and get a superclass seat. Much less buffeting if the seas rough.

Turbojet as mentioned. Eat your lunch there instead

Turbojet, but it's pretty stable as long as you don't go on a windy day. Just make sure you try to get a seat in the center of the boat which will minimize the movement.

Worst can you can take the bus up through China, but it's a long circuitious route.

-Chris
    Hong Kong Travel Blog: Travel tips and deals for those based in Hong Kong!

Turbojet Jet Foils, not necessarily the catamarans but the slightly older ones that lift quite a bit out of the water. The only real chop you experience is at the start and the end (when the hull is in the water). When you are out on the open sea it's basically like flying. The PS Jetfoil or the Jetfoil on this page. I haven't tried the Foil Cat.

Turbojet - Vessel Design

Cotai and Turbo both are good. Turbo's vessel appearing better but don't have any technical information.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph098765:
    Cotai and Turbo both are good. Turbo's vessel appearing better but don't have any technical information.
    Dude, NOT the Cotai Jet! methosb, if you read his post, wants as smooth a ride as he can get going by sea.

The Cotai Jet's catamaran are susceptible to bumps at the slightest hint of chop!

F.A.O. methosb:

Skyhook and everyone else who posted after him have given you the best advice and decent alternatives. TurboJet's Boeing-manufactured vessels are the way to go. Not sure how you make sure you end up on one though.

Problem is that these days even most of Turbojet's fleet is high speed catamarans rather than the older jetfoils. It's the luck of the draw which class of boat you get on you particular sailing (although I think their special, pricey, Premier service runs all jetfoil??).

Otherwise, I second the advice to sit amidships, aft, and NOT upstairs. The other thing I've noticed is that the backwash from the harbour wall at the Sheung Wan terminal is a big problem - people manage to lose their breakfasts even before getting underway, specially if the sailing is delayed after boarding. There's much less chop on the water at the Kowloon pier.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast