Like Tree5Likes

JR Pass - where to buy?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

JR Pass - where to buy?

We're off to Japan at Christmas, planning to spend some time riding the rails, and from a back-of-the-spreadsheet calculation, it seems like it'll be worth picking up a JR Pass for our trip...

It's not a trivial amount of money, and there are different ways to get one - from a local agent, or from elsewhere and get it posted - and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, if it's worth shopping around, or just bite the bullet and grab a couple from a local agent? Just looking for the 7-day ordinary-class pass, nothing long or green!

Why not just buy one at the airport/station when you arrive? you didn't own an octopuscard before you arrived in HK did you?

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Why not just buy one at the airport/station when you arrive? you didn't own an octopuscard before you arrived in HK did you?
    Because you can't buy a JPRail pass inside Japan.

Here is the list of Japan Rail Agents:

Japan Rail Agents in Asia

If you are flying ANA you can get one through their office here in HK too.

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by Stu79; 04-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Um, because the JR Pass is an expensive (almost-)all-routes national pass which is only available outside Japan, to tourists or Japanese who have residency abroad...

Does anyone who knows what a JR Pass actually is have any advice?

(and incidentally, yes I did get my Octopus card, the one I'm still using 7 years later, before leaving the UK - a friend who visited HK a few times had an old tourist card and gave it to me)

I picked up a JR Pass for my trip to Japan in April, and I have to say it's the best investment I made. However, this is only IF you plan to travel to more than one city (I hit up Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Hakone). I didn't find the pass as useful inside Tokyo (it's valid only on the JR line).

I would say that it's worth the cost if you plan to take anything more than one round-trip on a bullet train (if I remember correctly, the cheapest round trip was around JPY 25000 vs. the cost of the JR pass which is JPY 27000 approx.).

The cost did make me think twice (it was more than my airline ticket), but it's worth every penny. I bought it from the JTB office in TST. I asked around a few places, but it's not worth the hassle since JR fixes the cost in JPY, the only variable is the exchange rate.

Satay Sue likes this.

Also, if you are planning to use the pass on the airport line (Tokyo --> Narita), make sure you reserve at the ticket office in advance. I didn't know we had to do this, which made for an interesting 200 metre sprint at the last minute. There's no additional cost, they just assign you a seat.

There's no reservation needed on the standard pass for the bullet trains, you're limited to certain car numbers which are free seating. Never had a problem getting a seat.

Shop around the agents as prices seem to vary by currency. i cant recall who we used but it was done by post and worth every penny.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Yeah, we're planning to visit Tokyo, Nagano area and Kyoto (or possibly Osaka, haven't quite decided yet). Bit of a flying visit, and I have a slightly bad habit of over-planning multi-city trips, but we spent a few days in Tokyo last year (and a day out to Hakone), really enjoyed it, and want to see a bit more of the country this year

Ah I didn't know that the 'regular' JR pass must be bought outside Japan, when we went to Hokkaido last time we purchased our railpasses at the station.

I had a similar experience like vinyljunky, when travelling from Narita to Tokyo. I didn't know they reserved seats for a fixed time (using Suica+NEX combo, which is btw a pretty good deal if it stops near your hotel, definitely beats a long busride)
    there I was standing drinking coffee, then found out the train just left 5mins earlier it wasn't a problem to our tickets replaced though.

The JR pass that must be purchased outside of Japan is a very special pass and has many more savings than the "regular" ones you can buy inside Japan.

OK - sorry for my earlier too short reply - was on a mobile.

I've used these twice now - for your itinerary it would be silly to get anything else. I shopped around as although it is a "fixed" price it seems different agents translate that price at quite varying currencies! We did ours by phone and post (it was a while ago!) but I think you can also try online for some agencies now. You don't (or didn't back then) get the pass by post, you get an "exchange voucher" which needs to be converted into the pass when you land.

NOTE: there are not many places you can do the conversion, so beware. Read the leaflet and probably best to do it at the airport when you land.

Also note, unless it changed, the fast train from Tokyo airport to downtown was excluded (but the slower train was included) so pick your train! Also the very fastest bullet trains are excluded, but it doesn't make much differences and the slower ones that stop at a couple more stations are fabulous anyway.

Have fun!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast