Guangzhou - 2 Day Trip

Closed Thread

Guangzhou - 2 Day Trip

Weekend Trip to Guangzhou

Hi Guys!

My visa to China will be expiring this september end and I haven't used it!!! I'm thinking of making a quick trip - more of the sightseeing type - to Guangzhou.Since i will be travelling with my husband & child who is 3 years old i would like some recommendation from you all..

1.There is a chimelong safari & zoo (both separate) which is better ?
    2.Any suggestion if we could go by bus to guangzhou as my son just loves bus ride.
    3.Shopping for Toys - Can anyone suggest any good place to shop toys for my son.

Thnxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by aadu:
    Weekend Trip to Guangzhou

Hi Guys!

My visa to China will be expiring this september end and I haven't used it!!! I'm thinking of making a quick trip - more of the sightseeing type - to Guangzhou.Since i will be travelling with my husband & child who is 3 years old i would like some recommendation from you all..

1.There is a chimelong safari & zoo (both separate) which is better ?
    2.Any suggestion if we could go by bus to guangzhou as my son just loves bus ride.
    3.Shopping for Toys - Can anyone suggest any good place to shop toys for my son.

Thnxxxxxx
    2. I'm sure bus is possible but seriously - Go by train. Much nicer journey I'm sure. If you want to go on a bus journey get a bus to the shenzhen border, corss over and get train from there. It is faster and cheaper than train from hung hom.

Also, try agoda.com for hotels. Loads on there and good prices.

I believe you can get buses from HK directly to Chimelong, they have their destination marked as 'Panyu' and it is one of the stops.
    You can also get a ferry to 'Lianhuashan' and a free connecting shuttle bus to Chimelong.
    You can also get a train to GZ East station from Hung Hom and then switch to the metro line for Chimelong station on the metro.

My memories of the Shenzhen - Guangzhou highway are highlighted with images of bus wreckage (some burned out shells) littered along the length of the road!

I would never take a short/medium/long distance bus on the Mainland.

I agree with JJ, take the train.

Chimelong is in Panyu, not Guangzhou. The train from hong kong-hunghom will take you to Guangzhou east station in 2 hurs. On a good traffic day, a taxi from Guangzhou east to Chimelong is about 30 minutes.

The direct bus from hong kong to Chimelong will take about 2.5 hours. It's safe, fast, and easy.
    I think the safari and zoo are in the same complex. Stay at the hotel within. The park.

i'd also go with the train having foolishly tried road travel in PRD. Overloaded trucks swerving across three lanes with no warning,mixed with homemade motorcycles and bicycles puttering in and out from the side if the road...felt like a scene from Mad Max meets a refugee convoy from Baghdad...

Did the ferry as well a few times...depressing vistas along the Pearl River of factories and rysted out barges...and endless grey, foul smelling water...

re Chimelong, we did zoo and safari (they are adjacent) easily in one morning...very nice but prepare yourself for HUGE school groups at the zoo...nice friendly kids(esp if you are foreign) but a bit of a headache as well

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

I would add that the Chimelong Hotel is convenient to all of the attractions, and nice enough inside, but you might want to look around at other options as I've heard (on this forum in fact) that there are better value accoms nearby in Panyu city...agoda will help with that...

We went with our (then) 1 month old daughter, and were absolutely mobbed by local people...brace yourself and have fun!

And be prepared and take care please. Guangzhou is not safe like Hong Kong...by a long way. We were hassled by beggars every time the moment we wanted to get out of the taxi (were also travelling with toddler) and I was almost robbed in the lobby of a 5* star hotel by an African gang. Neither security or police do anything!

Enjoy your trip nevertheless!

Guangzhou, I spent a week in GZ one day.....

Spend a weekend in Kaiping instead.