Like Tree32Likes

In case anyones travelling to Greece

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

In case anyones travelling to Greece

be more cautious when your out and about in Greece
    On streets of Athens, racist attacks increase

news.yahoo.com/streets-athens-racist-attacks-increase-074957227.html

And if you happen to travel to NYC, you should also be cautious.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    And if you happen to travel to NYC, you should also be cautious.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime
    crimes been the same level in NY, no spike in increases... what's your point?

that you should be cautious when travelling out and about in NY?

Quote Originally Posted by kmn911:
    be more cautious when your out and about in Greece
    On streets of Athens, racist attacks increase

news.yahoo.com/streets-athens-racist-attacks-increase-074957227.html
    Yeah, I'll make a note of it. If I ever find myself to be a dark-skinned, unemployed trash-scavenger, I'll be more cautious when in Greece. Did you even get to the second paragraph of that article before panicking?

I would have expected someone from "NYC" to be a little more worldly, but hey, please go ahead and repost irrelevant, fear mongering articles in really unlikely places.

Oh, and remember not to use cell phones in gas stations, 'cause they can make the whole neighbourhood explode.
    Last edited by jgl; 14-11-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: To correct a misplaced comma, one the more serious grammatical sins.
    Skyhook, drumbrake, jimbo and 5 others like this.

Im more worried by the alligators in the tube tunnels of NY to be honest

It is a valid post - why the knock as that just turns posters off and makes people think why f...g bother to visit this site. Their views are always valid but if someone else says something someone has to get a gang bang of the usual suspects jumping on. This site has changed -for the worse.

HK people do travel the entire globe. I have HK local friends who have been to most countries in Europe and one friend starts with family in Holland EVERY year and goes from there. They tell me that they hear other Chinese in these countries speaking Cantonese. Same as when the Egypt uprising started and HKers - Chinese - were there.

The irony is that both these nations need tourism and the protests and unrest detract from of their main economic drivers.

Last edited by Football16; 14-11-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    kmn911 likes this.

The knock (from me, I don't speak for anyone else) is because I object to unthinking fear-mongering, which I will call out whether or not it makes someone feel 'turned off'.

If the poster could objectively demonstrate the the risk of being assaulted in Athens was greater than the risk of being assaulted in, say, Detroit, then I would have treated him with more respect.

But all he does is post an article about dark-skinned illegal immigrants being assaulted in Athens. The relevance of that to tourists is stretching the point, and I'd expect any potential tourist to Athens would already be well aware of increase in risk given that Greek unhappiness is already plastered all over the media.

Come to think of it, it's not a valid post. The OP doesn't even distinguish that there is a difference between Athens a city, and Greece, a country. It's like saying that Washington DC has gun crime, so be careful in Seattle. (I have friends travelling in Kalymnos at the moment who are raving about how idyllic and tranquil it is.)

Posting that article was like perpetuating those chain emails that warn about the dangers of mobile phone tower radiation or batteries exploding in cars- there is no thinking behind it.

Last edited by jgl; 14-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Satay Sue and elle like this.

So is the HK government going to issue a black travel alert on Greece?

East_coast likes this.

Only German tourists are at risk, I think they already gave one or two a beating

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast