Like Tree6Likes

Trans-pacific flights (especially to the west coast)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trans-pacific flights (especially to the west coast)

Hi all,
    I am a native californian and travel home often-- this year several times and on my most recent flight back noticed a real treat that i had never noticed before so thought i would share.

Usually on the 12-14 hour flight i will take a red eye and pop a sleeping pill that will knock me out for most of the way, but this last time i was on a daytime flight and was awake when we happened to be flying over alaska. It was light out as we were chasing the sun over the horizon and i peeked outside and my jaw just dropped. Hit the floor. The view over alaska was just phenomenal. It was like one of thos views from planet earth or frozen planet in real life. Endless snow capped mountains, winding frozen rivers, all completely untouched. The setting sun and sigur ros on my ipod added a wonderful silver lining.

So if you are ever crossing that area at that time (i was on cx879 from sfo fyi flying just past anchorage which is nestled between mountain ranges) i would say its worth the peak outside.

I also wonder if aurorae would be visible too on a redeye at the right time in the right direction. Anyone know?

Watercooler, shri, Mat and 1 others like this.

I have seen the Alaskan and B.C Coast on flights to and from Canada. Really beautiful on a clear day. I flew on a turboprop Twin Otter over Nepal once to view the Himalayas. Stunning view.
    I'm a bit of a flight fanatic. I buy those flight videos made by "Just Planes" where they will show you a flight from the beginning to end, some of them contain great scenery:

http://www.worldairroutes.com/Welcome.html

Tokyo to Boston with JAL dreamliner,starting soon, hope they will fly close to the north pole

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Tokyo to Boston with JAL dreamliner,starting soon, hope they will fly close to the north pole
    Already started... and you can just dim the huge windows so you're not blinding everyone else when you open the shade...

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I flew on a turboprop Twin Otter over Nepal once to view the Himalayas. Stunning view.
    I've been on this as well, it wasn't too bad at all since I only paid HK$150 for the flight haahaa
    Watercooler likes this.

Do you have any pointers on finding cheap airfare back to the States?

yeah: don't travel at peak times. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I've been on this as well, it wasn't too bad at all since I only paid HK$150 for the flight haahaa
    That sounds brave...!!! (Must have been stunning though!)

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    Do you have any pointers on finding cheap airfare back to the States?
    Try to bargain with the airlines that a non window seat should be 15% cheaper than a window seat.

What's the cheapest RT airfare you've seen? I found one on aerohk.com or something for around $550 USD, for an Eva Air flight. It was next summer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast