Like Tree5Likes

Anyone been to Nepal?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

If you are not carrying a heavy pack, nor going over passes that are likely to have snow on them, I would say low-cut hiking shoes (rather than boots) are fine. Provided you get good ones. I too have moved from boots to shoes over the last few years, and now even have done 2 week hiking trips in the Alps carrying a pack in lightweight boots (thinking about shoes for this year but we often have to go through snow).
    It's a tradeoff - shoes are lighter and more comfortable. Boots are more stable on rocky surfaces. Whichever you choose, hike in HK with them first. I would suggest Lantau 1-3 and down the Donkey Trail for anyone going hiking in Nepal - its probably one of the hardest day hikes you can do in HK, with much up and down, and will give you a good feel for your fitness.
    Going to do ABC without any prior training as noted above is certainly possible, but frankly it's very stupid and you enjoy the holiday much more if it doesn't kill you.

Does the Donkey Trail follow the Ngong Ping cable car route? Is it any good?

On the footwear front, I'd still suggest light ankle-length boots for the ABC walk. Partly because it protects somewhat against injury (sprained ankles, or slips) but partly because it'll make it harder for those horrible little leeches from getting to your feet. Leeches can slip through the holes in approach shoes quite easily, but if you're wearing high topped boots with a sealed tongue, leeches have a bit more work to do, and are easier to spot before they slip in.

Of course, the leeches are harmless. So if they don't gross you out, you don't have to worry about this factor. By international standards, they are very small, slow, and easy to kill.

Hmm... the more I write about Nepal, the more appealing it sounds Seriously though, it's worth the trip.

Yes the Donkey Trail is the one under the cable car. It's OK. It's highly planked (almost the whole route up) so it's good quality but can be slippery if wet. Very steppy. It goes to above Nong Ping and drops back down, so if you add it to the twin peaks, it adds another 1.5 hours and a few hundred metres to the climb. Nice views on the way down though over the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Going to do ABC without any prior training as noted above is certainly possible, but frankly it's very stupid and you enjoy the holiday much more if it doesn't kill you.
    We decided to go and booked the trip 3 days in advance, hence no training. I wouldn't say that I recommend it, but I also don't think people should limit themselves to what they do based on whether or not they do "training". I think "training" would have been more painful for me to do than just adjusting and getting fitter as a I hiked, as I am not a sporty person at all.

Well, I have to admire the optimistic spirit Good luck with the hike, post photos afterwards.

Oh... about five days in, just before you get into the Sanctuary/National Park area, there's a small village that has a remarkably good bakery in it (chocolate pastries, Western style bread rolls). It's very welcome after days of dahl baat. Make sure your guide points it out.

Last edited by jgl; 15-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Really appreciate with all the opinions and suggestions. I will carefully go through all the comments here again before go ahead to confirm any bookings.

One more question, I got a quotation on the 7 days ABC Guided Trek for USD 700. Pretty much all inclusive, like domestic flight, accomodation, meals, etc. Is this quote reasonable??

Cheers.

I can't remember prices, but it's standard that the price is inclusive of just about everything, including accommodation in Kathmandu.

I'd recommend checking with the guiding operation that I mentioned in my first post- they were exceptionally good by the standards that I saw there.

Also note that there is a standard rate for tipping on a guided trip, with guides vs porters getting differing amounts. Though I usually deplore the idea of 'mandatory' or socially-mandated tipping, this was not an issue for me in Nepal after witnessing how hard the guides and porters work, and how poor the country is.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I can't remember prices, but it's standard that the price is inclusive of just about everything, including accommodation in Kathmandu.

I'd recommend checking with the guiding operation that I mentioned in my first post- they were exceptionally good by the standards that I saw there.

Also note that there is a standard rate for tipping on a guided trip, with guides vs porters getting differing amounts. Though I usually deplore the idea of 'mandatory' or socially-mandated tipping, this was not an issue for me in Nepal after witnessing how hard the guides and porters work, and how poor the country is.
    Thanks jgl! Dropped your guide an email, hopefully I will be hearing from him soon

The domestic flight is the biggest cost as foreigners pay a higher ticket fee

I would give more to the porters as a tip, those guys haul a lot of stuff for you and earn a basic daily wage which is peanuts, based on a survey done in 2008, porters were earning 380-1000 rupees (HK$ 38-100) per day hauling up to 40Kg of equipment. They have to pay for 170 to 350 rupees per day for their daily needs; food, drinks etc while they are trekking.

Some of the guides, including the one I used, set a max limit of 20kg per porter, and insisted that the porters be provided with at least cheapo backpacks with shoulder straps. Some of the other guiding operations (citing Exodus here, again) had their porters carrying what was obviously twice that, with two fully loaded packs in a single the head-strap basket.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4