Like Tree3Likes

London for Summer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi, I stayed in London for the Olympics and I stayed in a service apartment that was big and spacious. Felt just like living in my own home! Use online booking to book. I stayed in the Hammersmith area which was accessible everywhere and very convenient from the airport without having to slug heavy suitcases up and down the tube (which btw, is lacking escalators in some stations).

For Children of 7 & 8, go to Hyde Park and feed the squirrels and swans there. They'll love it.

Other areas of interests maybe Legoland in Windsor , the museums (Army and British which are both free). Actually I don't recommend the tour bus since it is expensive (but a nice experience) and you can do the same trips by yourself simply by purchasing Oyster cards for the duration of your visit which provides reduced travel on all forms of transport.
    Castles will be a strong attraction and Windsor castle / Tower of London will be exceptionally great for the kids.
    Of course as a lifetime experience take the kids to Greenwich, the only place in the world where you can actually straddle 2 different timezones.

For food they have these chain pubs that does exceptional quality food at relatively cheap prices (6.99 pounds) for a full Sunday Roast for adults.

There's so much to do and see in London...

Yes, I almost forgot about Windsor Castle - a must see! Windsor is even just a pretty town on it's own. There are plenty of pubs that provide decent food, plus for the sweet toothed, there is a shop along the main drag that sells the most delicious fudge, Jim Garrahy's, I think the name is.

By all means, do the touristy thing and visit Harrods, although Fortnum and Mason have that nice old world charm without the tacky. Hamleys for the kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Yes, I almost forgot about Windsor Castle - a must see! Windsor is even just a pretty town on it's own. There are plenty of pubs that provide decent food, plus for the sweet toothed, there is a shop along the main drag that sells the most delicious fudge, Jim Garrahy's, I think the name is.

By all means, do the touristy thing and visit Harrods, although Fortnum and Mason have that nice old world charm without the tacky. Hamleys for the kids...
    Windsor is one of these really quaint pretty town with charm of its own. This also reminds me of Stratford upon Avon... a very charming little English town of days gone by. Delightful during a lovely summer's evening and you can just sit there all day with a book and be in total bliss!

Hi everyone, what great ideas! Thanks! Does anyone know anything about the Bluebell railway, an old branch line in the south which still ply the old steam engines?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    baglady likes this.

Thanks Elegiaque. Will pm you know reg the guide books later!

Check out what's on during your trip at the Unicorn Theatre, usually has something on for children.
    http://unicorntheatre.com

Hi Baglady,

Have you tried to search for some self catering apartments? This is the best option for adults and kids. Some includes a nice garden for the kids to play in and of course you can do all your own cooking and laundry.

Also check out www.vrbo.com for apartments for rent by owner.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    travel lodge has reasonable value accomodation and pretty clean in virtually all branches
    yep. They also have some very good deals if you book early enough. Look in their website.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/?gclid={...FYFV4godC1UAjw