Like Tree1Likes

Planning South East Asia trip

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Planning South East Asia trip

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a South East Asia trip and will be flying to Bangkok first. Should I get my flights planned through a travel agent or on my own? I will be going to all the countries in SEA, so I'm not sure if it be easier for a travel agent to help me plan the best route.

What do you guys think?

How long will you travel? When you say all the countries, which countries do you mean exactly? Have you done something like this before? While it is straightforward to plan an itinerary and travel overland over much of SE Asia (Myanmar excepted), for those with limited time /experience, and agent might be helpful.

What passport are you traveling on?

You may need visas for many of the places you wish to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by enixa:
    Hi Everyone,

I am planning a South East Asia trip and will be flying to Bangkok first. Should I get my flights planned through a travel agent or on my own? I will be going to all the countries in SEA, so I'm not sure if it be easier for a travel agent to help me plan the best route.

What do you guys think?
    Sort it out with agents in Bangkok.

Quote Originally Posted by enixa:
    Hi Everyone,

What do you guys think?
    If by SEA you mean Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam, most of it can be done by bus/train/car..longer but so much nicer. I have done it both way (ie plane and 'rough') and unless you have family and kids, highly recommend the 'rough'option.

If you are also including Malaysia/Singapore/Indonesia/Brunei then yes better pick up your flights in BKk. also very much depends on how much time you have.
    bryant.english likes this.

If you're doing it backpacker style then use one of the (dozens) of agents dotted about Khao San Road. If you stay in one of the guest houses on or near the strip you might get some up to date tips from other travellers...Things might be different these days but when I was in that neck of the woods border crossing regulations for many of the countries were changing every week!! Those guys in Bangkok know what's going on and they are cheap!

Thailand - land of scams- I'd avoid the travel agents and 'tour' buses, and instead travel by government buses and trains, or book internal flights. Crossing the border into Cambodia has long involved lots of extra charges - do research before you go.

How long are you going for:

Southeast Asia includes:

Cambodia
    Laos
    Burma (Myanmar)
    Thailand
    Vietnam
    Malaysia
    Brunei
    Indonesia
    The Philippines
    Singapore
    East Timor

Re the "unless with kids" comment - we did Singapore to Bangkok by train (with long stopovers on the way) and our 7 year old loved it. Beat sitting around in airports...!
    See seat61 website for info and how to book.

I did the SG to Bkk trip in 1991. You have to love train journeys though as it is LONG and take a toll on the butt. For me I could gladly do it again if I had a couple of days to kill.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast