Like Tree63Likes

Air Asia's Quiet Zone

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Air Asia's Quiet Zone

A step in the right direction but not far enough for Moving.

Beginning this week, under-12s are banned from the first seven rows of economy class on AirAsia X flights to China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Australia and Nepal.

In an official press release, AirAsia X's CEO Azran Osman-Rani described the new rollout as a "heavenly package for those who want peace of mind."

Not to mention peace of ear.

Passengers booked on AirAsia X, the long-haul arm of AirAsia, can now opt for the seats for an additional cost of RM 35 (U.S. $11) or RM 110 (U.S. $35.50) -- the standard fee charged for picking specific seats in economy class and in the "hot seats" section, which provide more leg room.

The child-free area, called the "Quiet Zone," has softer lighting and is sectioned off from the rest of the plane by toilets and bulkheads, the theory being you won't be able to hear the kids who are toward the back of the plane.

Still, anyone who's been within 100 meters of a screaming child will know that their cries won't be stifled by a few partition curtains.
    Above from CNN Article.

Air Asia's website
    HowardCoombs likes this.

It is another way to raise price per seat and market. If there is more leg room and nicer lighting- not sure how that connects to kids - that can be a useful situation.

Was not aware that it cost more to select your own seat in advance or if this is common.

Not sure how this is configured from the story but a baby making noise is likely to be a problem for the rows near there. I guess it can make sense on balance to have such a family area.

Not all kids on flights are bad and I count far more times when older passengers were far worse than any kids I have seen on long flights.

Last edited by Football16; 05-02-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    carang and virago like this.

On Air Cheapos, it's common to pay for any extras whether they are meals, luggage, seats etc... I think it's an excellent concept as long as the fees are clear and not hidden.

Airline travel is relatively quite cheap and competitive and I like the idea of people paying for luxuries they need while others can benefit from lower prices.

Having a family section is a good idea. You can tell an unruly passenger to behave or else they can be thrown out/arrested but that just can't be done with a one year old throwing a tantrum or feeling sick.

If only they had this before for long-haul flights. Time and again, for flights to North America or Europe, I have to endured the constant wailing of a baby to 2 year old. Heck, even wearing ear plugs is of little use to those high pitch screams. The worse was this one time on a flight back to HK from Vancouver, this baby was crying at the top his lungs almost constantly for the 12 hour+flight.

Last edited by Watercooler; 05-02-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    scrambler likes this.

BA allowed seat pre-selection for a fee when I flew with them a year ago. I believe that many internal US flights have this option.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    BA allowed seat pre-selection for a fee when I flew with them a year ago. I believe that many internal US flights have this option.
    How many airlines do offer such service to & from HK right now though? Not saying this alone will make me book my next flight with them, but it sure is nice to know which airlines do try to shut up those wailers.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Watercooler, do you mean pre-selection of seats or quiet zones?

A step in the right direction and more than I might have expected from a budget airline. A trend for more biz travelling on air Asia perhaps?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:

Was not aware that it cost more to select your own seat in advance or if this is common.

It is common - BA do this (unless you are a Silver or Gold Member). I was astounded when I saw this. Incidentally, the Satays fly tonight - two together and one separate though even if we had wanted to pay to sit together, a few weeks ago, there were no three seats together in Traveller Plus

I guess all you folks who complain about babies crying were hatched as teenagers?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast