Kota Kinabalu - Sabah

Closed Thread

Kota Kinabalu - Sabah

Has anyone been there ? Will b there for 3 nights.any suggestions for Island?

Generally people go there to climb the mountain and see the sunrise from the summit.

I've been there with my wife 3 years ago and it is one of the most beautiful places i have been. The food is cheap and the sunset is something else over there.
    We went island hopping and done some scuba diving which was excellent.
    I would though recommend the underwater scuba scooter which costs about 250 hkd per hour. Fantastic experience.
    Make sure you go to the open seafood restaurants where the prawns are the size of your whole hand.

I was there last year.
    Loved the place, can't wait to go back.

My advice, spend a few days in town (3 or 4), visit the islands (short, 20 minute speedboat ride, SAPI is the best island).
    On another 2 days, hire a car and drive up to the Tip of Borneo (Kudat), spend a night there. Some of the best beaches I've ever seen.

Check out my reviews on tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/hkrob

We had gone there for our honeymoon and stayed at Nexus resorts. The weather was perfect, view was amazing, and resort was really huge. We hardly even left the resort, except for one day when we had gone to the town for shopping. (Main reason being the resort was a long distance away from the town).
    Though the resort had all sorts of day tour arrangements, such as snorkeling, urangutans, tribal visits etc, but being a lazy bum that I am, I didn't book any tours in time and then it was too late to do so... :P
    BTW, a word of caution, try not to book on Royal Brunei Airlines, we didn't have a great experience flying back with them, but then it was our only experience with them.

Hello all , thanks a lot for the replies !
    Unfortunately we only have 4 days in ki - seems like a grave mistake !
    So will probably hop to 2/3 of the TAR island ...wont be staying at the islands as it is quite expensive and still haven't figured out the rest.
    What's the under water scooter? Or are you talking about sea walking ?
    I ll look it up ! Thanks !

Mitmat, those replies don't match with my experience at CNY this year - beaches were dirty, islands crowded, in town was hard to find any authentic Malay food - mostly 'tourist' type restaurants. Maybe OK if you want to climb the mountain, but for a beach holiday, I wouldn't go back...

Last edited by kwingelet; 09-03-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add

You guys following the fighting in Sabah? Malaysia, truly Asia!

been there twice, loved it! If you only have few days in KK: go to the cheap islands of the KK coast, only 20min on a boat but make sure you buy your tickets at the pier, not form one of the touts along the city shore they rip you off!! it was only around 20 ringgit I think. also go see the orangutans in the shangri-la rasa ria resort- it's was very intimate setting and they were young ones and babies. you get to go really close. no need to fly over to sepilok, this was much better experience and much closer to KK. Also a day trip to Mantanani island is well worth it! crystal clear waters and white beach. absolutely stunning! best snorkelling I've done and been all over the world.