Like Tree4Likes

Safety in Taipei

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Safety in Taipei

I'll be going to Taiwan for a training and plan to visit the must see areas of Taipei (101, Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, may be the Gondola ride) during my sunday off. I am so used to walking about with a DSLR in Hong Kong with no problem but just want to know if the situation is similar or different in Taipei. Solo female traveller of South asian origin to be more specific.
    Thanks a lot.

Taipei is one of the friendliest cities in Asia so you'll be fine.
    Just do you usual awareness of your surroundings as you would do in any new place.

Satay Sue and kpelszyn like this.

People smile over there and are disgustingly warm and hospitable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

I think Taipei is one of the few cities in the world which is even safer than Hong Kong.

Thank you very much for both replies. After being in HK for one year, I found the "friendliness " in Bangkok a bit overbearing when I visited there! Hope it is some what more muted in Taiwan

Unfortunate but true - your being of South Asian origin is likely to dial down the vaunted friendliness of Taipei's residents noticeably (unless you are a very pale-skinned northerner).

As far as safety goes, your main problems are likely to be in crossing the road (IME, Taiwanese drive like mainlanders, but more arrogantly) and from pickpockets in crowded areas.
    Oh, and I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that young, single females were advised always to have someone very obviously note down or photograph the licence plate of any taxi they entered. More than one of my foreign colleagues found herself sexually assaulted and dropped off far from where she wanted to be after ignoring this advice - but that was a bit earlier this century. Please take current local advice.

Last edited by chingleutsch; 03-03-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    dear giant and lvcl like this.

Thank you for the latter replies. I am used to the "South asian" issue now, and have started to enjoy the study of different reactions I get when I wear H&M coat with DSLR camera in hand Vs hoodie and sneakers!!! Thank you very much for the tip on Taxi's too, will talk to my trainers there.

When crossing the road look the driver in the eye as they then will have to acknowledge you and will usually stop. However always be cautious as chingleutsch mentioned. And don't flip the finger to truck drivers, they may show you their sledge hammer. Talking from experience here.

Anyway, don't worry too much, Taiwan is very safe even for single females. Enjoy your trip.

I have found Taipei to be safe. It is though always relative and circumstance dependent, nowhere is absolutely safe. Make necessary preparations for all eventualities.

Taipei is generally pretty safe (provided you take common sense precautions, i.e. keep your valuables close to avoid pickpocket, don't go out alone late night etc). A bit of a generalization, but yes, people there tend to be more friendly and pleasant compared to the coldness of HKers, but there always exceptions of course...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast