Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gilleshk

New Zealand adventures

Closed Thread

New Zealand adventures

Hi! Hoping there are some Kiwis here! I am a huge adventurist and going to New Zealand seems like an awesome place for someone like me. Besides bungee jumping, what other adventurous things should I do while there? Time isn't of the essence as so the more the merrier. Let me know your thoughts!

Personally, I don't believe adventure comes from controlled man made rides providing cheap thrills so I'll let other people talk about things like jetboating or zorbing..

New Zealand is famous for its hiking and climbing so I would suggest one of the many outstanding trails it has to offer. Kepler, Routeburn, Abel Tasman, the Mt Cook area, Mount Taranaki, Tongariro... Climb at least one peak while you are there. Plenty of them are accessible to hikers...

Considering the amount of water, you'd be missing out if you don't go sea kayaking(Marlborough Sound would be good), sailing and maybe even a little surfing or fishing...Whitewater rafting if you're a tourist, if not then go do the real think in a whitewater kayak.

Doing some work on a farm can be interesting if you've never milked a cow or sheared a sheep.

Natfixit likes this.

Dude you got to go mountain biking.

Queenstown for kayaking, paragliding, hiking, drinking.....great food there, and outside in Arrowtown for top class wines. Cycle, if you are fit enough and the weather ok, around coromandel peninsula. Drive or cycle from Christchurch up to Marlborough and do the wine trail. Kaikoura is a lovely spot along the way. Just watch the traffic and roads as they are oh so narrow and dark with hairpin bends. Hotsprings.

Take a flight over Milford Sound.

Count sheep.

Last edited by Natfixit; 01-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.

If you are keen for some scuba diving, Poor Knights. Take the liveaboard with OceanBlue - small boat and great crew. If you fancy wrecks, Wellington harbour have some. Depending on when you are going, you may want to hit the snow field too. If you make it, visit Stewart Island - hiking, camping and kiwi birds spotting.

Have a great trip!

When r u going?
    Winter soon so skiing is obvious.

In winter, I would NOT recommend doing anything south of Rotorua that involves water because it's f'ing freezing (unless you stay in the boat, like jet-boating).

In summer - all of the stuff already listed. Queenstown is renowned as the "adventure capital" of NZ and it's well named. Give Wellington a miss - it's a hole most of the time (diving for wrecks in the harbour? joke).

Hiking is fine in winter, but better stick to the top half of the North Island if you don't want to freeze your a$$ off.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by MovingIn07; 05-04-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Oops - got my location mixed-up - was meaning to say wreck diving Marlborough Sound (Mikhail Lermontov). NZ offers great temperate water diving. The water is not the warmest (up to 23oC at Poor Knights) but the diving can be excellent for those who is up for it :-) We livedboth Oz Kiwi