Like Tree13Likes

Anyone been on the Beijing-Kowloon Through train before?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Done the HK-SH route. Soft sleeper is very nice for the money. Bunk bed, chair, separate toilet and sink. Very comfortable although sharing with a stranger would be awkward and, given some Chinese habits, potentially annoying. Life outside the cabin - dining car for example - was seriously underwhelming so bring plenty of food.

Done hard sleeper from BJ - SH and BJ to Urumqi. Wouldn't do it again, but if you are young and adventurous then why not? Was a great experience. Just watch those toilets!

Watercooler likes this.

Thought the food on the Shanghai sleeper dining car was perfectly fine, usual dai pai dong standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Soft Sleeper is 4 beds per cabin (Lockable door), Deluxe Soft Sleeper is 2 beds with ensuite!
    Yes I was in Deluxe...suppose you could buy both bunks if you crave privacy...

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    Done the HK-SH route. Soft sleeper is very nice for the money. Bunk bed, chair, separate toilet and sink. Very comfortable although sharing with a stranger would be awkward and, given some Chinese habits, potentially annoying. Life outside the cabin - dining car for example - was seriously underwhelming so bring plenty of food.

Done hard sleeper from BJ - SH and BJ to Urumqi. Wouldn't do it again, but if you are young and adventurous then why not? Was a great experience. Just watch those toilets!
    As an adventure, I agree the hard sleeper/seats is definitely worth it if you haven't been on a regular mainland train before. However, as a form of routine travel from A to B, I don't think it really is such a pleasant experience, particularly like me if you've been on a number of such trips. It can be fine, and it can also be pretty awful. Still, the soft sleeper (which I haven't tried before) does seem inviting, I have to give that a go one of these days.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    A perfect way to join the "Rail high club"
    Your mind is filthy! I merely meant we could practice our favourite hobby, blanket folding!

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:

Curious, I've yet to sample the dining on a Chinese train. If what you say is correct, then I'm not missing much. Still, I'm curious to know about the dining car arrangement onboard Chinese trains. I'm assuming they have a certain fix time set for lunch and dinner? Is it usually crowded? How many tables in the dining car? I guess I'm more interested in trying the experience than sampling the food, hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    Yes I was in Deluxe...suppose you could buy both bunks if you crave privacy...
    Actually, you can't. They will only sell one ticket per person for this route and if you turn up with two tickets but only one person they will upgrade anybody who pays the fare difference on the day.

The Deluxe cars are actually quite nice, not done HK-BJ but returned from Shanghai to HK a few years back. The biggest advantage I found over your regular hard sleeper was you can turn the god awful piped music off. Felt a bit like 1984 - only the privileged few can switch off the screen (or speaker).

i'll remember that and bring a suitcase full of durian next time

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Curious, I've yet to sample the dining on a Chinese train. If what you say is correct, then I'm not missing much. Still, I'm curious to know about the dining car arrangement onboard Chinese trains. I'm assuming they have a certain fix time set for lunch and dinner? Is it usually crowded? How many tables in the dining car? I guess I'm more interested in trying the experience than sampling the food, hehehe.
    warm beer and low-end lunchbox meals when I was on board. Not great
    Watercooler likes this.

why not fly, less time and same amount of money