Oasis Liqiudation - Refunds / Chargebacks / FAQs

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

That's a heck of a stretch. I don't think any lawyers would agree with you. You authorised the payment to be made at the time you made the booking. I don't see any grounds on which it could be deemed unauthorised.

Fairly obvious why banks don't overly advertise the chargeback rules.

From the mastercard worldwide chargeback manual. Fairly sure rules for visa,amex etc are similar -

" 3.21 Message Reason Code 4855—Nonreceipt of
    Merchandise
    The issuer should use message reason code 4855 when the cardholder or his
    or her authorized representative did not receive goods that were to be shipped
    or delivered..........

The issuer may charge back the transaction before the specified merchandise
    delivery date if it is established that the card acceptor will not provide the
    goods because it is no longer in business."

Just FYI - for all those doubters out there who thought I didn't know what I was talking about and those who made slightly unpleasant remarks at me, my parents' credit card company have now agreed to pay up the difference in flights (i.e. the flights my parents had to buy to get back to the UK).

Congrats, even though your profession forbids me from being happy for you.

But to be clear that is a UK credit card company and a UK transaction covered by UK laws, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But to be clear that is a UK credit card company and a UK transaction covered by UK laws, yes?
    UK card, HK transaction, English law.

BTW I always said that was the case.

Yes - I know you did, but not everyone reading your last post will have read the previous 28 pages!

I think I might start using my UK credit cards in Hong Kong. I lost my 7 day old squash raquet on a minibus last week, if I had paid with an aussie, nz or uk card (all "normal" cards) it would have been covered by purchase protection ... but as I used my HSBC Premier card it's not. Pathetic. Same products, less value, higher cost. How come nobody comes in from overseas markets and flattens them?

Because people here don't want to give some of their hard-earned cash to insurance companies in the way that you seem to?

FFS Why should I be forced to pay more for my Premier credit card to pay for insurance cover for people like you leaving things on buses?

It only takes a moment's thought to realise that with any insurance policy of any kind you must on average pay more for it in premiums (whether hidden in other charges or not) than you get back in payouts. This must be so for insurance companies to be profitable businesses.

There are only two scenarios in which it is rational to buy insurance:

1) If you somehow know that you can "beat the odds" - in other words that you know that what ever you are insuring against is significantly more likely to happen to you than to other people, or

2) to cover you against costs which are extremely unlikely but which if they happened you would not be able to cover yourself. Insuring your house against natural disasters might fall into this category.

It simply doesn't make economic sense to buy insurance in any other case.

But that was my point. The cost of the cards in HK is HIGHER than in the other markets, even though they DO NOT provide these benefits! THAT does not make sense. So surely there is a market opportunity for someone to come in with a lower cost offering with more benefits!