Like Tree3Likes

Expired passport has China visa in it

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Expired passport has China visa in it

I recall some talk about this but searching didnt find the right threads, so lets re-ask.

Expired Canadian Passport has a 3 year China Visa glued inside it 2 years validity left.
    New/Shiny Canadian Passport is now on hand.

Can I go into China with both passports and get thru without hassle?
    Do I need to get a new China visa for the new pport?
    I also recall someone talking about steam and reglue - I cant recall if that was serious or a joke...

You certainly used to be able just to take both passports, but it's been several years since I did this.

EDIT- just remembered that in my case the old passports were full, not expired, so that might be different.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 05-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.

I do just that with my new, shiny USA passport and my work visa being in my old (gone through the wash once) passport.......so I would guess the same would apply in your situation..

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I recall some talk about this but searching didnt find the right threads, so lets re-ask.

Expired Canadian Passport has a 3 year China Visa glued inside it 2 years validity left.
    New/Shiny Canadian Passport is now on hand.

Can I go into China with both passports and get thru without hassle?
    Do I need to get a new China visa for the new pport?
    I also recall someone talking about steam and reglue - I cant recall if that was serious or a joke...
    I seriously doubt that steam and reglue is an option, my China Visa has my passport number printed at the bottom (the first 10 digits at the bottom line).
    I've been travelling with two passport previously as well, but same as in gruntfuttock's case, that was because the passport containing the visa was full.
    It's probably best to check with the China Visa office whether they can transfer your visa to your new passport or wether you need a new visa.

Your work visa for China?

Hi there. I have a "cancelled" US passport that has my residence permit in it sponsored by the company i work for in China. I have a NEW passport now. I have traveled in and out of China twice now, carrying both passports. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Countries cannot touch other countries visas and i don't think China would bother (and i wouldn't want to bother with them either).

I about to get a new passport and will have the same issue. I have seen a number of times people with two passports presenting them at border control.

The China visas used to be easy to remove but not anymore. I used to remove them when they were 1-2 years past their expiry to make way for new ones.

Yes i had a couple that just actually dried right up and fell off! new ones no shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I guess it was a joke. I believe a washed out visa will raise some questions. And anyway, has the new passport the same passport number? If not that this won't work anyway.

Just bring your old passport, I did that many times.

This said, I don't know if that applies to if you fly to China. You may not be allowed to check-in.

BTW, I wonder about the logic why you applied a 3-year visa when there is only 1 year left on the passport. And I wonder why a 3 year visa is given with only one year to go on that passport.
    Last edited by flameproof; 05-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

You can fly in. No worries. Get the 3 year when you can, its still good for the validity of the visa, not the passport. Usually yes, different passports will have different numbers.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast