Like Tree4Likes

Bangkok - Family Things to Do?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    How did you get ripped off then?
    I didn't. I just don't enjoy shopping somewhere in the middle of the day when it's hot and humid, crowded, and filled with junk I don't need. We did have a bite to eat there, so that was nice. But aside from that I would much rather be poolside drinking a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'd take the first taxi (or train) out of BKK and into Hua Hin; 2 or so hours later you're on the lovely pristine beach. Stay for 5 days and come back and fly out....BKK is very nice for adults but not really a kiddie destination...
    agree. while SD makes some great suggestions above, can't see the majority of them exciting a 10 year old.

"we're going for afternoon tea at the peninsula"
    "cheers dad. can't, erm, wait."

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    agree. while SD makes some great suggestions above, can't see the majority of them exciting a 10 year old.

It was a real treat many moons ago when I was a kid to be taken for afternoon tea in the old style tea houses of Tunbridge Wells.

Little crustless sandwiches, scones with thick clotted cream and strawberry jam, and small cakes all served by ancient waitresses in uniform. Very very delicious.

The modern kids may still love it.

A day trip to Tiger Temple, you can even throw in some history around Kanchanaburi

Pattaya is only 1.5 hours from the airport or 2 hours from Bangkok and has a few family things to do, just stay away from soi 6.

I would say do the Dusit Zoo, it's pretty decent and a very cheap family outing.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:

He needs to go and shoot guns in Pattaya! But a more serious suggestion... Zip lining?

Thanks everyone! Some really good ideas scattered throughout the posts. Extra thanks to ScotchDrinker for taking so much of his time to write when he was tired to begin with.

Some of the things that we are seriously considering are MBK, chatuchak, Wat Arun and the spa at the hotel (while the kids do some kid things).

Some of the maybe's are Tiger Temple (because of the distance and time required), Siam Paragon Mall for the aquarium (but I hear it is mainly expensive high end shops there, which I assume would have similar pricing as here?), and believe it or not we are interested in the afternoon tea idea (is Penninsula better or some other?).

If there are anymore, keep them coming.

I stayed at The Peninsula the first time I went to Bangkok and found the spa to be very average, and the food somewhat disappointing (with the exception of breakfast). They have a lovely pool area and the service is to a high standard but there are better hotels in Bangkok. At the time, I wished I'd stayed across the river at the Mandarin Oriental instead!

Siam paragon is mainly high end shops yes.
    But the high end supermarket in the basement is cheap if you want to pick up supplies.

Peninsula is a great hotel but I'll be trying somewhere else when I'm in bk next month.