Like Tree11Likes

Want to be cold in China

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Are you including Taiwan in your definition of China? Lowland will be hot but up in the (very high) mountains you should find some lovely weather.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Have not been to those 2 and they are very much under consideration.
    Good places to stay cool in China during the summer.

But one small problem, you better acclimatized yourself first. Those areas are on the eastern edge of the Tibetan plateau. In other words, it's pretty damn high up (which is why it's cool). Some visitors are known to suffer from altitude sickness if they suddenly go there from a sea level location like Hong Kong.

I still think Shri should arrange some Geo bus tours to China....it would be a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I still think Shri should arrange some Geo bus tours to China....it would be a hoot!
    Only if gary and hkitguy come alone.....
    virago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Are you including Taiwan in your definition of China? Lowland will be hot but up in the (very high) mountains you should find some lovely weather.
    I had not considered Taiwan but would be happy to look at it.
    Could you please name some towns & locations that I should research for ?

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Have you thought about Zhangjiajie, though, I went there in summer and it wasn't sub 20 degrees (only at night). It was warm but still quite OK. Best to check temps for this time of year.

If you haven't been you must go there at least once, it's quite amazing.
    How did you get there? Did you book a tour? Seems very expensive to get there from HK.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    How did you get there? Did you book a tour? Seems very expensive to get there from HK.
    I was living in China at the time. Flew to nearest main city airport (I think it was Changsha) which was a few hours by car to there. It was a few years ago and can't remember the full details actually as someone else was organising.

Might be best to review a flight from Shenzhen as it will most likely be cheaper and direct to the small airport near the park.

It is highly advisable to get a guide, when we went it cost for a few days RMB300 for 2 days (though probably alot more now). They can take you to the overnight homestay lodges and villages which are quite comfortable. You are not allowed to drive into the park which is a pain as you have to wait for the buses which in peak season are full of people are really dampens your enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    You can fly from SZ directly to Zhangjiajie Hehua Airport.
    You can also fly from SZ to Changsha Huanghua Airport.

Unless you are travelling to one of the big cities, it makes very little sense to fly out of Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I had not considered Taiwan but would be happy to look at it.
    Could you please name some towns & locations that I should research for ?
    This calls for my road trip recommendation: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/2...ml#post1669605

Wanted to suggest Dali, too, but the weather report says mid to high twenties (though cooler at night).
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Only if gary and hkitguy come alone.....
    Would they have to sit together?
    MovingIn07 likes this.