Like Tree12Likes

Antipodean Adventure!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Antipodean Adventure!

We have begun doing research on our first trip Down Under and I was hoping some of the experts here might be willing to offer some advice about our excursion.

Basically, the wife and I are planning an open ended trip through Australia (and perhaps New Zealand as well depending on how much money we have left) in about two months time. We've never been before. Our travel style is pretty relaxed and we try to avoid tourist traps and expensive areas in favor of places that are more middle of the road, if you will. We consider ourselves backpackers but don't necessarily have to stay at the cheapest dump in town just to save a buck or two.

As Americans we get three months to visit, and I am hoping some of you might have some ideas about what to expect? Is renting a car a safe/plausible option for someone who's never driven British style? We are starting in Sydney. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If you haven't already, look at Wikitravel or whatever the new site is. It's a great starting place.

It's very easy to get used to driving on the correct side of the road but Oz car rental is much more expensive than for North America. Price out long term rentals.

When are you going? Sydney is getting chilly now, and soon it's also going to start getting wet. Byron Bay is a classic cheesy tourist destination, but it's well worth visiting. The Great Ocean Road is good.

I'd also suggest that you do make it to NZ. The scenery there is very different and it's much smaller and easier to get around.

chris_yang22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If you haven't already, look at Wikitravel or whatever the new site is. It's a great starting place.

It's very easy to get used to driving on the correct side of the road but Oz car rental is much more expensive than for North America. Price out long term rentals.

When are you going? Sydney is getting chilly now, and soon it's also going to start getting wet. Byron Bay is a classic cheesy tourist destination, but it's well worth visiting. The Great Ocean Road is good.

I'd also suggest that you do make it to NZ. The scenery there is very different and it's much smaller and easier to get around.
    Ah yes, definitely will check out Wikitravel. It was a very important resource on our trip through Asia, although it did lead us astray in Suzhou...

We'll be there starting from late August. One thing we already are interested in doing is the half-marathon in Sydney on September 22. We are not going to be pressed for time since we won't be working but will be on a tight budget. Do people recommend taking trains between cities? Are there places that offer accommodation in exchange for work? And how about cycling?

Sydney in August is not going to be a bucketload of fun- it's the coldest time of year. Suggest you start way further north and then move down the coast.

What do you mean by cycling- intercity, or within cities? The former is doable, the latter might work for Melbourne which is pretty cycle-friendly, but not for Sydney unless you live somewhere very central.

Australia is reasonably safe but precautions are advisable. The cities at late nights can be troublesome so try to avoid if not in a group. Country areas are usually ok and people are friendly.

Do you like road trips? I do suggest to spend some time out in Northern Territory and send a week driving from Alice Springs to Uluru and then up to Darwin seeing the sites along the way. Hire a campervan for this for flexibility.

If money is tight Greyhound Buses have exceptional value for money bus tickets for backpacker style travelling.

Going YHA too for good accommodation options too and also check out couch surfing website if you want some more adventure.

Most Australian cities are not interesting in my option except for Sydney and the great places and best to get outside. Best picks are, blue mountains and Katoomba, the beaches of Byron Bay, Fraser Island, great barrier reef, northern territory for Kakadu national park, aborigines and culture.

If you want specifics on Australia PM me.

PS. don't watch Wolf Creek the movie before going.

Sent from somewhere....

Last edited by virago; 25-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    chris_yang22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Sydney in August is not going to be a bucketload of fun- it's the coldest time of year. Suggest you start way further north and then move down the coast.

What do you mean by cycling- intercity, or within cities? The former is doable, the latter might work for Melbourne which is pretty cycle-friendly, but not for Sydney unless you live somewhere very central.
    Oh, just wondering if there are any recommended trails or routes to ride in particular cities? I read Tasmania is nice for cycling? While I'd love to tour the country by bike we just aren't equipped for that sort of thing.

No, don't take trains. Buses all the way and flights. Flights can be cheap too.

August is not a good time for Sydney, too windy. September better, October ideal.

Sent from somewhere....

Last edited by virago; 25-06-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    chris_yang22 likes this.

1) use http://www.wikivoyage.org/ (instead of Wikitravel) - it has better and usually more upto date information

2) you mention "avoiding expensive areas" -- I dont know anywhere cheap in Australia. I've been all around the world and I can safely say that Oz is the most expensive places I've been to (Sydney and Perth). Do a bit of homework on how far your money will stretch so you dont run out quickly. Everything from going out to buying simple groceries is extremely expensive.

chris_yang22 likes this.

if you happen to be in queensland make a stop in 1770. we found this tiny city (yes 1770 is it's name) just by accident. nice and peaceful, huge beach with almost nobody but you and the best food I had in australia

chris_yang22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    Oh, just wondering if there are any recommended trails or routes to ride in particular cities? I read Tasmania is nice for cycling? While I'd love to tour the country by bike we just aren't equipped for that sort of thing.
    Australia is a LONELY place. If you want to cycle then take everything with you. One of the most god forsaken places I've been to is Tasmania, in particular Western Tasmania.

Sent from somewhere....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast