Macau entry with HKID

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Macau entry with HKID

Can a foreigner enter Macau with only an HKID card? Currently my passport is at the travel agent because I am applying for a mainland visa. Unfortunately, i would like to go to Macau over the holiday weekend but do not have a passport now. Is it possible to only bring HKID with me? I am not a permanent resident of HK.

Also, Does anyone know how I can get a multiple entry mainland visa. My 6 month multiple just expired and now I am told I need to apply for single entry each time I take a trip to the mainland. Any ways around this?

Thanks for your help!

Short answer: no and no.

Long answer: You need a passport to enter Macau. Should have planned better. And see this extremely long thread for information about the multi-entry mainland visas, which boils down to "you currently can't get one in Hong Kong".

I got a reply on a different thread saying I can use HKID only. What is your source if you don't mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagolife:
    I got a reply on a different thread saying I can use HKID only. What is your source if you don't mind me asking.
    See this thread:
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/newpostinthread23941.html
    to find out why you most likely can't.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 09-05-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Macau has a separate Government/Immigration department than Hong Kong's. Therefore they cannot "recognize" per say your status in Hong Kong. They don't know your immigration status in Hong Kong and they can't stamp your ID with an arrival date and length of stay.

You can't take your ID only to China, Thailand or any other country, why Macau?

The answer's in the other thread, but let's put it here as well for completeness.

Basically only HKID holders showing "A" (right of Abode) or "R" (Right to land) in the symbols on the front of the card may enter Macau without a passport.

Note the "R" does not refer to the first character of your HKID number, but to the symbols under your date of birth. For most people born outside HK these will be CO if you have a conditional stay (e.g. on an Employment or Dependent Visa), AO if you have acquired and maintain right of abode, RO if you had (or had the right to) right of abode but have since lost that and now have right to land.

There are some other possibilities, but those are the main ones.

Thanks, PDLM! If I get denied entry, you will be hearing from me! hahaha

Eh? From what I have read and written, you should be denied entry if you don't have a passport with you.

I have an "R" on my HKID. You said then I will be fine without a passport? Please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The answer's in the other thread, but let's put it here as well for completeness.

Basically only HKID holders showing "A" (right of Abode) or "R" (Right to land) in the symbols on the front of the card may enter Macau without a passport.

Note the "R" does not refer to the first character of your HKID number, but to the symbols under your date of birth. For most people born outside HK these will be CO if you have a conditional stay (e.g. on an Employment or Dependent Visa), AO if you have acquired and maintain right of abode, RO if you had (or had the right to) right of abode but have since lost that and now have right to land.

There are some other possibilities, but those are the main ones.

Anyway, I checked with the Macau Immigration and only permanent residents can get in without a passport. I think permanment meaning you have lived in HK for over 7 years.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast