Anyone been to Poland for vacation ?

Anyone been to Poland for vacation ?

Hi all,

I'll be going to Poland at the end of this month.
    We'll be staying fo a week, first in Warsaw then Krakow. Has anyone been there ? How was it like ? Is it safe ? Care to share some experience.

Thanks
    Ray

I went years ago - just after it opened up

lovely place, full of lovely people but hard to get nice food. I think the food situation has changed but I'm sure the people are just as friendly. We had a polish girl work for us in our last place and she was great. Lots of people (young people) speak english these days, but german or russian is more useful with old folks. If you are going to krakow you must go and visit Auswitz - terrible but a must-see at the same time.

We were in Warsaw and Krakow a couple of years ago. We didn't have a problem with food nor transportation nor language but we were staying with Polish friends and they did some speaking for us.
    Auschwitz is a must see, but we thought Birkenau the more emotionally stunning site. You should be able to hit both.
    In a week/ten days we did Warsaw, Krakow, the concentration camps, a salt mine and the old HQ castle of the Teutonic Knights.
    If you like chocolate, there is a lovely chocolate bar in Warsaw. If I lived there, I would be super-sized by now.

thx for the replies.
    My wife did not plan to go to the concentration camps. We visited one in Munchen a few years back, although that one is not comparable to the ones in Poland, we were not happy after the visit. I mean seeing the suffering of the holocaust. I heard some stories from people who visited it, although I would like to visit, I would not want my wife to have nightmares.
    So we only visit the more pleasant side of Poland.

Thanks
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RayHKG:
    thx for the replies.
    My wife did not plan to go to the concentration camps. We visited one in Munchen a few years back, although that one is not comparable to the ones in Poland, we were not happy after the visit. I mean seeing the suffering of the holocaust. I heard some stories from people who visited it, although I would like to visit, I would not want my wife to have nightmares.
    So we only visit the more pleasant side of Poland.

Thanks
    Ray
    Hi Ray,

I grew up in Poland before moving to the US and now HK.

One week is not a long time, but since you will already be in Cracow, I would also recommend the German concentration camp at Auschwitz. If not, then go to Zakopane for 2 days enjoy the Polish mountains, its a pretty scene.

Other cities which I would recommend if you have more time, Wroclaw, Sopot, Gdansk.

As for Warsaw, it will have an impressive skyline as well as the tallest building in Europe in about 5 years, but for now just plenty of construction going on. Nightlife is very good, just like in Cracow.

Im sure you will have lots of fun.

The salt mine Sleuth mentioned is called Wieliczka, well worth seeing.
    The teutonic knight castle is in Malbork quite a ways from your destinations.

Another popular destination is Kazimierz.

In Cracow/Nowa Huta there used to be a "museum" of communism, not sure if it still exists, but ask around I am sure you would enjoy it a lot. It was set up by two young entrepreneurs and basically showed life in Poland back in those years.
    Last edited by copernicus; 12-05-2008 at 10:52 PM.

[QUOTE=copernicus;213779]
    The salt mine Sleuth mentioned is called Wieliczka, well worth seeing.
    The teutonic knight castle is in Malbork quite a ways from your destinations.
    QUOTE]
    Yes, that's right.
    Malbork was a long but easy day trip for us (from Warsaw).

Quote Originally Posted by RayHKG:
    Hi all,

I'll be going to Poland at the end of this month.
    We'll be staying fo a week, first in Warsaw then Krakow. Has anyone been there ? How was it like ? Is it safe ? Care to share some experience.

Thanks
    Ray
    I made a 3 weeks trip in Poland in august 2004. I visited north west, north, north east, south east, and south. I really loved the north, the people were really warm, but I had to use my phrasebook
    for speaking polish, even for ordering a meal.

You must visit Gdansk, The Malbork castle, The lake region (Mazuria),Krakow, Oswice (Aushwitz), The salt mine another person mentionned, the mountains in the south (near Zakopane)... The food is simple but really good, usually pan-fried meat with salad and potato and beetroot.

I didn't like Warsaw, it was a really sad city, and people where not nice (especially in the museums).

The countryside is beatifull there.

Have a nice trip!

PS: very usefull sentences

Nie movie po polsku (I don't speak polish)
    R'tche ubem yenden jubrowka (Zubrowka) protche
    ( Please give me a Zubrowka vodka)
    That's all I remember

Hello,

I just came back from Poland, it was better than I expected. The people are nice and polite. And very safe to my standards when comparing the places Warsaw and Crokaw to other european cities. I met this American lady (in her 50's) on the bus who happen to overhear me asking directions from the busdriver, and we talked some. And she told me to be carefull even when walking on the pavement as drunk drivers sometimes kill/injure people who are walking on it. She was however, already walking with a prosthetic leg and crutches, but I did not asked her if it was from what she was warning me about.
    I was 3 days in Warsaw and 3 days in Crakow. I do have to agree with some of you that it is not enough to see things. Also because many things close at 3pm and 4 pm. Man, that is so early and the sun sets at 9.30pm. The food is cheap but great. transportation is also cheap, somewhat comparable prices with HKG. We had excellent weather all the time, blue skies no clouds. I would surely come again.

I went to Cracow with a bunch of friends for St Patrick's day so it was intended to be a bit of a party. I also chose not to go to Auschwitz on this occasion for the same reason. My family are from Poland and while I recognise the history element, I felt that it would be a bit too much.

The folks of Cracow could not have been friendlier. I've been to lots of Eastern European cities and this was my favourite. It's a real party town actually, with lots of students and a healthy night life. I did have my bag stolen in a bar (and got it back), but I wasn't being very attentive. A fantastic city - have a great time!