Like Tree6Likes

Singapore

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Singapore

Hi,

what would you recommend to see in Singapore?

On my list:
    Little India
    China Town
    Arabic district
    Marina Bay
    Riverside (civic centre),clarke quay
    raffles hotel - singapore sling
    merlion

half day Sentosa

good fotospots:
    mount faber, carlsbergtower
    meritus mandarin hotel orchard road
    orchid garden
    Peninsula China Town

Will be there for 3 days. What is reasonable to do together - locationwise - to make best use of the time.
    Even Singapore is a small place.

Looking forward to your comments.

The zoo. May take a half day to really appreciate it but well worth it. Try and time with Night Safari (break for dinner) - even better.

Tbh, I think China Town is pretty meh, worth an hour at best. Little India good for food but little else and the Arab District? I don't even know what that is.

Other things to do. Katong great for food and old shop-house architecture, East Coast Park good for early evening satay.

For me, though, the thing I enjoy most in Singapore is heading out to Changi Village, hiring a bike, cycling down the coast or popping over to Ubin and then enjoying some relaxed hawker centre food.

Watercooler and HKITperson like this.

The Arab District is the area around Arab Street which has some great Middle Eastern restaurants and a cool bar scene. Worth a night out for me, much prefer it to the riverside bars.

If you're there on a Sunday afternoon then that is the time to check out Little India - the place comes alive and everyone is out in the street. And as shenwen says, the food is great.

I'd add lunch in the Lau Pa Set hawker centre on Robinson Rd, great experience although I'd get there at about 11.55 if you don't want to scrum for a seat.

Also agree with shenwen about the night safari - brilliant couple of hours. Ignore the train and walk around it, you'll see more and it's more peaceful.

One thing to avoid which is in all the guidebooks is a Singapore sling cocktail at the Long Bar in the Raffles Hotel. Total tourist trap, though the bar is nice. If you're there, pop your head in and have a look at the historic bar then leave before you're crushed by hordes of cruise ship passengers.

HKITperson likes this.

I'd avoid the duck tour, which comes up as a standard tourist suggestion- the one that we saw had a constant stream of loudspeaker blasting the bus occupants.

I would skip Sentosa... been there and it's so sanitised that I found it dull. Riding a bike through East Cost would be a bit more relaxing, but only if you like riding bikes through parks.

This place in Little India was fantastic. Really good food, and very friendly staff who are doing doing it for a passion instead of a job: http://www.lagnaa.com/

Factor in time for sheltering from the heat. If you try to rush around too much, you are going to fry.

HKITperson likes this.

i would definitively include the botanical gardens. it's something that HK is missing so much

and drinks in kudeta not on your list???

def recommend arab street/hadj lane, not only for bars but even more for designer shopping

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i would definitively include the botanical gardens. it's something that HK is missing so much
    HK has a botanical garden.

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/parks/hkzbg/en/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    It's known as the carriageway as you drive in and around Singa's.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    The zoo. May take a half day to really appreciate it but well worth it. Try and time with Night Safari (break for dinner) - even better.

Tbh, I think China Town is pretty meh, worth an hour at best. Little India good for food but little else and the Arab District? I don't even know what that is.

Other things to do. Katong great for food and old shop-house architecture, East Coast Park good for early evening satay.

For me, though, the thing I enjoy most in Singapore is heading out to Changi Village, hiring a bike, cycling down the coast or popping over to Ubin and then enjoying some relaxed hawker centre food.
    I also recommend the Night Safari. The zoo has an interesting design. From the spectator's perspective, you could not actually see the barrier keeping the animals in their enclosure. So you get the illusion that you can see the animals with nothing between you and them.
    HKITperson likes this.

Singapore

I just got back from Singapore. I really liked the Haji Lane / Arab street
    area. The Duxton Hill area near Chinatown is very nice too. The botanic Gardens
    are the best I have yet to see, and you can have a nice dinner in the center of the
    park. The Orchid Garden is beautiful and I would think unmatched in the world.
    Fort Canning park is very nice also. Its right behind the Singapore Museum, which
    is worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by passman:
    Love country to live in
    Lovely place for a weekend getaway or even a business trip. AWFUL place to live - boring as hell, no seasons, sterile environment and the public transport sucks compared to HK.
    Azuremain likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast