Like Tree10Likes

Another inflatable day trip - Nam She Wan from Ma On Shan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another inflatable day trip - Nam She Wan from Ma On Shan

So my month old son is finally settling down (or rather the new helper is settling down) enough to be left at home with the helper for the day while mommy and daddy go scouting places they can bring the little guy to in a year or two. Tried Governor's Beach a while ago and decided to see else where this time in the Saikung country park area.

Google satellite mapped an interesting spot called Nam She Wan right underneath Sharp Peak's northern foot; one of the more remote beaches in Saikung if you're coming from Saikung pier area. Launched my inflatable catamaran this morning at 9:30 and got there at 11:15ish with my 4hp outboard. I would've thought there'd be more people since it's one of the first sunny weekends in a few weeks and the temp has dropped a bit compared to the scorching days in July. But we were lucky to have had the beach to our selves for a few hours until a yacht came by and launched some kayaks.

I'd say Tai Long Wan is doable but probably best to save it for a weekend overnight camping trip to make the 2.5-3hour boat ride worthwhile lol.

Skyhook, wtbhotia and Tom007 like this.

Skyhook likes this.

Skyhook likes this.

Nice work Titus, great to see you getting out and about, on the water.

A mate of mine owns a Zodiac and does the same. He's never registered it lol and got away with it for 5 years that I've known him owning it. His house backs onto the water, he quite often goes to Sai Kung pier from his house. Goes pretty hard and he island hops with it also.

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Nice work Titus, great to see you getting out and about, on the water.

A mate of mine owns a Zodiac and does the same. He's never registered it lol and got away with it for 5 years that I've known him owning it. His house backs onto the water, he quite often goes to Sai Kung pier from his house. Goes pretty hard and he island hops with it also.
    hahaha nice, yea I looked at Zodiacs too but they didn't make the catamaran style; their website says best with at least 8hp and I don't want to commit to taking the licensing course just yet so the catamaran style was perfect since it doesn't have as much drag (or so I theorize).

How big of an outboard is he using? Those inflatables FLY with relatively small power which is awesome lol

It's luck of the draw if you get stopped by the marine dept I guess!

What if the boat doesn't work anymore and there's nobody around?

Awesome Titus. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    What if the boat doesn't work anymore and there's nobody around?
    LOL I don't know how to respond to that
    What if... the airplane you're on doesn't work anymore mid air.... you're hiking and your legs stops working.... LOL

Cell phone reception everywhere I went; this is Hong Kong...

And then of course there are compass and geological area map and oars and food water and life jackets and life buoys in the boat... and there are 4 separate air chambers in the boat with 6x my estimated required fuel.... and regular HK Marine Dept and HK Police patrols... Again... this is Hong Kong.... not Alaska....
    Last edited by Titus; 18-09-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Awesome Titus. Thanks for sharing.
    You're welcome, I really want to encourage more people to explore the nature side of HK instead of just Lan Kwai Fong
    And you don't even need a boat like that; rent a kayak in Hoi Ha and there's amazing things to be seen within an hour of paddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    You're welcome, I really want to encourage more people to explore the nature side of HK instead of just Lan Kwai Fong
    And you don't even need a boat like that; rent a kayak in Hoi Ha and there's amazing things to be seen within an hour of paddling.
    That reminds me do I need a permit when renting a kayak Titus?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast