Like Tree22Likes

Thief on airplane

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

They should put CCTV on planes....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    By "valuables" do you really mean cash? I never carry cash (rarely more than USD100 at most, ever!) and my "valuables" are usually my phones (which I keep on me) and my laptop. Are these being targetted? I have a strong preference for the front seat in Economy which has no under-seat storage so everything HAS to go into the overhead locker; although I do carry both my purse and travel wallet as "hang around the neck" types of things so they never leave my body.

I'd read about these thefts a few months ago too. Sad really.
    "Valuables" would be anything that you wouldn't trust airport security or baggage handlers with! Ironically, I have greater trust for baggage handlers out in Asia than I do in the US or the UK.

I imagine "valuables" would include computers, cameras, tablets. If someone is on the lower end of the socio-economic scale without convenient, globally accessible banking networks (think domestic helpers), then it's also probably a lot of cash.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I'm a cold-dead-fingers kind of traveller... I keep my 'valuable' on me at all times. My hand luggage has multiple sections but all are locked. And to confuse the non-English speaking thieves, the locks do not have numbers but four letters with the combination spelling out a word.

I have dummies.

Read about the tour guide from HK who stole Rimowa at da airport ?
    Good they caught him

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I'm a cold-dead-fingers kind of traveller... I keep my 'valuable' on me at all times. My hand luggage has multiple sections but all are locked. And to confuse the non-English speaking thieves, the locks do not have numbers but four letters with the combination spelling out a word.
    You live on a boat and have four-letter-word combination locks on your carry-on baggage. You're MI6 aren't you? :P

My bag would be a royal pain to carry or go through since it's always so heavy (I sneak on an extra 10-15 kg very often), and I always place it directly overhead. I doubt someone could get to it in time unless I was asleep! Cash, phone and ID stay on me at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    You live on a boat and have four-letter-word combination locks on your carry-on baggage. You're MI6 aren't you? :P

My bag would be a royal pain to carry or go through since it's always so heavy (I sneak on an extra 10-15 kg very often), and I always place it directly overhead. I doubt someone could get to it in time unless I was asleep! Cash, phone and ID stay on me at all times.
    Didn't know Claire lived on a boat. Are you confusing her with someone else? (in which case perhaps she really is James Bond LOL).
    jayinhongkong likes this.

You live on a boat...
    What we have here is a case of mistaken identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Read about the tour guide from HK who stole Rimowa at da airport ?
    No. So here we go....:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-luggage-thief

You ... have four-letter-word combination locks on your carry-on baggage. You're MI6 aren't you? :P
    If you told you then...

Just a cautious traveller, who often travels alone. I might be a little old(ish) lady but I'd like to think that my precautions are a deterrent to the bad guys. Let 'em go after the less wary.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

The water in Claire's pic threw me off. Oops.

I just realized that if it was moving with the special locks, she'd already be MI07!

An ounce of prevention is definitely worth more than a pound of cure. I wonder if the letter locks are as easy to open as the numbered kind. My brother can get them open in under a minute!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 16-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.