Like Tree2Likes

14 hour layover in Dubai

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

if you've got Emirates or Qantas frequent flyer status just beach yourself in the incredible lounge 'terminal' at the airport alternating between eating/drinking, sleeping and showering

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    Keep in mind Dubai is expensive for taxis despite the fact that petrol is cheap. Last week I did Airport to Mall of Emirates it cost me 100 dhs.

Gold souk and Dubai mall is much closer to the Airport than Mall of the Emirates. I found Gold souk interesting spent only an hour there.
    Taxis are actually fairly cheap in Dubai.

Did you get one of those black airport taxis? Their meter starts at 50 Dirham or something similar. Regular taxi should cost you half that amount to the airport from MOTE. I was there on business a couple of months ago staying at Sheraton MOTE and got both types of cab.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    Keep in mind Dubai is expensive for taxis despite the fact that petrol is cheap. Last week I did Airport to Mall of Emirates it cost me 100 dhs.

Gold souk and Dubai mall is much closer to the Airport than Mall of the Emirates. I found Gold souk interesting spent only an hour there.
    whats that in hk$?

About 210hkd

The alternative is the metro, with the added bonus of NFC tickets that you can keep to use with an enabled phone.

if OP comes in on the early EK flight from HK nothing will be open when they get out of the airport, except Deira Fish Market. while it is open for public alright, OP is likely to be the only tourist around. i found it an interesting place to stroll around, buy some dates (there is a section for nuts n dates) and have a coffee in the cafeteria, though i do realise that those who like the Mall of Dubai and indoor ski slopes might not be interested in fish markets. with this disclaimer i dare to recommend also dubai creek cruise on an abra (small boat). these can be arranged by asking around at any of the abra stations along the creek. (Old Souq 1 is the abra station closest to the fish market.) no need to haggle, prices are posted at the stations.

Itinerary says 12pm arrival, is that considered early? I do enjoy visiting markets over something like an indoor ski slope, you pay less money

Definitely will check abras out as we do plan on going the souqs/souks.

What's the situation for money there? Will most vendors take USD or should we get some dirhams before leaving the airport?

sorry, i missed the bit about 12pm arrival! souk merchants might take usd, but last time i was there i got dirhams from an HSBC ATM at the airport.

Go to Irish village for a few beers, it's near the airport. Great pub