Like Tree5Likes

Hotel recommendation for New Zealand

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hotel recommendation for New Zealand

Looking some recommendations for a nice hotel in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

Budget around HKD800 per night, centrally located but not necessarily in the middle of the CBD. Car park required, don't need kitchen facilities (but don't mind if there are included). Motels are also ok.

Have done some searching on booking.com and agoda and shortlisted the Ascotia Off Queen and Scenic Hotel Auckland but wondering if there are some gems that I may have missed.

You may struggle on that budget in or around Wellington CBD. Also need to take into account what time your ferry goes. If it is around rush hour you will be wanting to get to the terminal I would aim to stay around Thorndon to reduce stress.

Auckland - try the Crowne Plaza. The Crowne plaza in Queenstown also is lovely, comfortable, great bar resto and views!!!! If you want just a motel, then the Airport Motel which has parking and is comfortable, clean, modern. Rooms big. Can't remember the rest of the hotels I have stayed in Auckland as it was so long ago. The chateau in mt Ruapehu is also worth staying in.

In Wellington , we stayed at the Intercontinental which you could not fault for location and service. Outside of Wellington, in Martinborough! it recommend you take a break at Aylstone. www Aylstone.co.nz. Also the Martinborough Hotel, which unfortunately if part of Peppers resorts.

Booked the ibis in Wellington at HKD825 +1.5% credit card charge. Will take the 1pm ferry, so hopefully traffic isn't a problem then.

@Natfix, the Crowne Plaza is way out of my stated budget. Probably can't make it to Martinborough but thanks for the suggestion.

@kimwy66, would you recommend to stay in Picton, Blenheim or Kaikoura (where I intend to go whale watching)?

Would depend on the weather Raccon.

If it is nice I would drive down to Kaikoura, it's a nice spot, and great views. If the weather isn't good I would stay in Picton. Kaikoura is exposed and bleak in bad weather whereas Picton is quite sheltered and has great views of the sounds.

Blenheim is more or less a typical provincial town, not that much to see.

Agree with Kim on Blenheim and the drive to Kaikora. In terms of hotels, I found in NZ that except for one occasion, I never booked anything and just turned up and stayed in motels. Pretty much everywhere has a motel, the standard is very similar across the country - many rooms include kitchens so it really cuts down the cost of breakfast etc etc if you have a car, just buy some provisions and often they provide plates/cups etc.

While places like the Crowne Plaza in Queenstown are nice (have stayed there), the price you pay is not reflected in the additional value you get. Motels are 1/3 of the price and almost as good! Plus easier to park right next to your room.

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Agree with Kim on Blenheim and the drive to Kaikora. In terms of hotels, I found in NZ that except for one occasion, I never booked anything and just turned up and stayed in motels. Pretty much everywhere has a motel, the standard is very similar across the country - many rooms include kitchens so it really cuts down the cost of breakfast etc etc if you have a car, just buy some provisions and often they provide plates/cups etc.

While places like the Crowne Plaza in Queenstown are nice (have stayed there), the price you pay is not reflected in the additional value you get. Motels are 1/3 of the price and almost as good! Plus easier to park right next to your room.
    Motels everywhere in New Zealand...I never booked anything either...

try the Apollo lodge in Wellington, it's right at the end of Oriental Parade and in your budget.

Thanks for all the tips/recommendations, will skip Picton and head straight to Kaikora so I can go whale watching earlier (next day). Saves me some time driving the next day, too, so I can arrive earlier in Christchurch to have more time for sightseeing there.

I was worried that places are fully booked since I don't know how busy November is, especially the smaller places like Queenstown and Franz Josef Glacier.

@audiot, had shortlisted the Apollo Lodge but decided on the ibis hotel (see my earlier post), which is a bit cheaper on the date I will stay in Wellington.

3 driving tips for New Zealand

You can tun left @ red lights (unless they are otherwise controlled of course)

You have to give way to oncoming traffic that is turning right (i.e. enforced courtesy...I did hear a rumour that they're considering scrapping that one...check it, it causes accidents.)

Look out for unmarked level crossings in the countryside.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast