Like Tree7Likes

Going to a Formula One race

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Going to a Formula One race

Yesterday, me and my youngest spent a wonderful day at Macao GP - he loved the sounds, sights, food and spending time with the old man. I was a bit bored at times but overall, it was a nice bonding experience.

He is now bugging me to take him to the big cars, Formula 1.
    I know there are several not-too-far opportunities around (Shanghai, Singapore, Malaysia), but I'm wondering what you do there.

For those who have been to an F1 weekend, what do you do? I know there are qualifiers as well as practice and final races but the actual race is no more than 2 hours. The various shortish races are on different days. What else is there todo all day? Do you just go to the one race and then go do something else?

Lots of support races tag along with the F1 circus, there is always plenty to keep you busy during Saturday and Sunday at the track.

How old is your youngest? Is he old enough to be able to enjoy a night GP like Singapore (race starts around 8pm-ish)? If he is, that would be my recommendation as it's so convenient being held in the centre so all the usual attractions/restaurants etc are on your doorstep but the F1 organisers also make a real event of the weekend with lots of bands and events etc on from early afternoon until pretty much midnight....all included in your ticket price. A lot of people go for the atmosphere and entertainment rather than the GP itself. There's a real feeling in there and you can get very close to the cars in some parts of the track...closer than Macau even. You will definitely need ear plugs (or ear defenders for your youngest) as it's LOUD. In an amazing way!

Malaysian GP can be a bit dull. The track is out near the airport and there's nothing to do except watch the GP - which might get a bit dull for a kid. If you want to fly in and out just for the GP, it's easy but I presume you want to spend some time in KL and make a weekend of it? Getting to and from the track from KL centre can be a pain due to the crowds of spectators overloading all transport. But on the positive side, hotel rates don't get jacked up for the GP like they do in Singapore.

Haven't been to the Shanghai GP yet but friends living in Shanghai have and they enjoyed it.

HowardCoombs likes this.

I have been to a couple of F1 races. Istanbul, which as you may know is quite a bit out of the city and a pain to get to and from. Anyway now that is no longer on the calendar as dear Bernie doubled the hosting price.
    Last year I went to Valencia which is right in the heart of town so everything is walking distance and no need to worry about parking and what not. There are a couple of races usually before the main event, both times I went to was the ugly porches racing.
    Valencia, even though it was the height of their recession, was half closed and you would think for their busiest weekend of the calendar they would have more stores open but no, they were a lazy bunch and the only place we could find to eat before 8pm was KFC.
    I would recommend a street circuit so you don't have to worry about logistics and the nearest one would be Singapore. Monaco would be the best one but expensive and a nightmare to find rooms.
    I believe New Jersey will be hosting one soon which is one I am looking forward to as it will have the Manhattan backdrop.
    Don't forget to take some really good ear plugs because it is f'ing loud.

HowardCoombs likes this.

New York/Jersey is off the calendar apparently and will return to Mexico instead

There was supposed to be a Bangkok street circuit night race added in 2015 but i hear this is now scrapped after a new law was passed forbidding it to go through the cultural district. Talks of relocation to Phuket but no idea what stage they are at now.

Thank you for the responses : my youngest is 11 now.
    Sounds like a nice carnival atmosphere and the more I read/check the more I like the idea.

We would fly in for 2 or 3 nights and spend the whole weekend doing stuff together. I dont particularly care what kind of stuff, father&son stuff. He is a very easy going kid and easy to amuse.

Singapore would be fine but too damn hot!
    I'm actually thinking of Shanghai; lets see...

One of my mates did the Singapore one and hes a bit of a piss head, he found it boring, every few seconds a car would zoom past vrrrooooooom and then you would wait for another one to pass by vrroooom, he said it was probably more fun to watch on tv, all he did was get shit faced

Singapore was really expensive he said, even when I was there for business and the week before the race the hotel price was nearly doubled WTF, luckly it was a business trip charged back to the company so I didnt give a monkeys, I legged it before the race weekend.

Wtbhotia

You should of stayed. The FHM parties on race weekend are legendary

wtbhotia likes this.

Shanghai is a long way from town, transport back into town can be a headache if you haven't organised something before hand.

That said it is a great circuit for spectators, well laid out.

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    One of my mates did the Singapore one and hes a bit of a piss head, he found it boring, every few seconds a car would zoom past vrrrooooooom and then you would wait for another one to pass by vrroooom, he said it was probably more fun to watch on tv, all he did was get shit faced

Singapore was really expensive he said, even when I was there for business and the week before the race the hotel price was nearly doubled WTF, luckly it was a business trip charged back to the company so I didnt give a monkeys, I legged it before the race weekend.
    Singapore is one massive party that weekend. Lots of people there like your friend although trackside seems a weird choice if you're not interested in F1. The non-F1 liking p*ssheads I know tend to book hotel rooms with a track view so they can get party and get hammered without having to watch too much of the race (but still get great photos to post on bloody Facebook *sighs*). After the post-race gig is over (Rihanna this year, Katy Perry last year), most people seem to head to Clarke Quay where the party carries on until the next morning. Clarke Quay seems to be one big party for the entire weekend. Very weird being there and bumping into lots of people you know from HK...there's certainly a mass exodus that weekend and Macau GP weekend.

As for prices, it's not entirely the fault of the hotels.....the government demands a F1 tax from the hotels: 30% of revenue from trackside hotels, 20% from non-trackside.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast