Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David4Maths

Daocheng Yading Airport has opened

Daocheng Yading Airport has opened

Everyone can rejoice
    A new airport has taken over the top spot, worlds highest airport (I recently learned).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daocheng_Yading_Airport

Alas, I've looked and poked around and cant find much todo around there; yes, I know there is a trek or 2 and a natural reserve but I cant find anything worthy of a brand new airport. Why-T-F did they build this thing? Whats there? Has anyone been in the area?

I think it is mainly treking in that area - it's on the eastern edge of the Himalayan plateau. There is some Tibetean culture - which means foreigners might not be allowed to go there at certain times of the year.

I guess the local government could borrow the money from the local bank, which borrows from one of the bigger Chinese banks, which are told by the central government to lend money even though for projects like this it will never be financially viable and the money probably won't be paid back - anyone investing in China Everbright Bank's IPO?

It works well as a military airport which is the basis of all airports, just as the railways are, in China.

Skyhook likes this.

Well, well, what treks are there around that area? Any information or links with information???

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    It works well as a military airport which is the basis of all airports, just as the railways are, in China.
    Strategically placed to attack India over disputed lands in Arunachal Pradesh

Or fly in support for the earthquakes !