Like Tree9Likes

Travelling within EU

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I feel Hull's pain...my wife and I turned our lives upside down and basically went back to zero financially with all of this nonsense...the upside is that we had some very positive experiences, some of them very humbling.

For me though...in the end...f&ck England! I have such a sour taste left in my mouth. Even when we did manage to get to England, everything was shit! We were welcomed with a burglary while we slept! My wife and I took a lease on a pub in Oxford and one night we were invaded by gypsies which was pretty much the last straw for my wife, the Mother of our two British children who still faced having to do the f&cking 'Britishness' test...

No, good luck Hull...zero interest in going back...personally I think England is finished anyway.

If we ever did go back to Europe it would be Sweden. That said, the rot has spread north too...

And the really, really annoying thing about all this is that if hullexile were, for example, a Croatian citizen married to a Filipina then she would automatically have had permission to live with him in the UK, and also wouldn't need a visa for the Schengen zone.

The UK is really way out of line with the rest of Europe on immigration matters.

I wonder if Hullexile has, for example, an Irish grandparent? Naturalising as Irish would save him a huge amount of grief.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 15-02-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Travelling within EU

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    And the really, really annoying thing about all this is that if hullexile were, for example, a Croatian citizen married to a Filipina then she would automatically have had permission to live with him in the UK, and also wouldn't need a visa for the Schengen zone.

The UK is really way out of line with the rest of Europe on immigration matters.
    Denmark and the UK...DK is where our saga started...a year living and working there and my wife's visa application rejected two weeks before the birth of our first son...we had 30 days to leave...the counts even warned us that we could not enter another Shenghen country for 6 months...we decided to head for Sweden who, thankfully, follow EU law....God, the memories of it now....we had to wait for our boy to be born because my wife couldn't travel.....didn't even want to chance the Oresund...we packed what we could into our little Kia....my wife caught the train with our new born in his bassinet.....

The really annoying thing Grunt...the really annoying thing...both me and my wife got residency in Sweden...we lived there for a year...meaning that under Surindah Singh, we should have been in Britain automatically....after 12 months, still no answer from immigration and they still force you to do the Britishness test. Britain ought to be chucked out of the EU...not entirely sure why they bother with it to be honest...
    Last edited by INXS; 15-02-2014 at 10:29 PM.

This, I think, is the key point - if you are British then you are at a substantial disadvantage trying to get in to the UK with a non-EU spouse. If you are a national of any other EU country with a non-EU spouse then it is pretty straightforward for both of you to live and work in the UK.

INXS and kimwy66 like this.

This, I think, is the key point - if you are British then you are at a substantial disadvantage trying to get in to the UK with a non-EU spouse. If you are a national of any other EU country with a non-EU spouse then it is pretty straightforward for both of you to live and work in the UK.
    Precisely....

Original Post Deleted
    No because the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement. Luckily the Philipinnes is not on the list of about 20 countries who have to go through more hoops.

Oh and the process is outsourced to the same private company that the UK uses.

If you were a national of some other EEA Country you could get her passport endorsed "Family Member of an EEA National" and then she wouldn't need a visa for France. Is it not possible for her to get that endorsement on her passport in the UK?

kimwy66 likes this.

If you were a national of some other EEA Country you could get her passport endorsed "Family Member of an EEA National" and then she wouldn't need a visa for France. Is it not possible for her to get that endorsement on her passport in the UK?
    Yes I know that rule but the thought of trying to get the UKBA to retrospectively put the stamp in is awful. It does say she is my dependant so that helps but not that I am a citizen of the EU, which clearly I am as I have a British passport. 1+1 does not equal 2.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4