Like Tree14Likes

4 hours delay on Seoul -> HK flight, any compensation?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Try beating a 1 week delay. Not complaining though, was stuck at home with a rental car paid by the company.

Got HKD 8000 from our company insurance for that; nothing from the airline though, force majeure I guess.

In case you are wondering the delay was caused by an ash cloud from some Iclandic volcano a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Try beating a 1 week delay. Not complaining though, was stuck at home with a rental car paid by the company.
    I can come close to beating that...We were on vacation in Canada and due to fly back on September 12th 2001.

We were late by 8 or 9 days.

Thanks to those who answered my question.

For the ones who felt the need to lecture me on my entitlement culture, just chill out guys, I was just asking a question on my legal rights. I never thought of suing.

The delay was not due to weather, mechanical failure or anything unexpected. It was pure mismanagement by the airline, there was no plane to fly the passengers. Initially, they said it would be delayed by an hour, and then they slyly kept delaying further by either an hour or half an hour until it got to 4.

My dad - who is a newly-retired solicitor - successfully sued a local low-cost airline in the UK for compensation under the EU regulations after they claimed that mechanical failure was an exceptional circumstance, repeatedly...

Quote Originally Posted by capucino:

For the ones who felt the need to lecture me on my entitlement culture, just chill out guys, I was just asking a question on my legal rights. I never thought of suing.

The delay was not due to weather, mechanical failure or anything unexpected. It was pure mismanagement by the airline, there was no plane to fly the passengers. Initially, they said it would be delayed by an hour, and then they slyly kept delaying further by either an hour or half an hour until it got to 4.
    You got the comments because what you just described is absolutely standard in Asia, particularly with budget airlines. So it's quite funny when someone from the EU comes asking if there is compensation!
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Might it not be that if airlines in Asia had to work to rules such as those in the EU they might try to reduce the delays?

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Might it not be that if airlines in Asia had to work to rules such as those in the EU they might try to reduce the delays?
    Who is going to create those rules?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by capucino:

A bit of banter is nothing to be peeved off at. Geoexpat is a site frequented by expats ( and locals) who have experienced flight delays for all sorts of reasons. Because a plane is not available does not mean that it never existed. Many flights originate from a previous destination, and your embarkation point may only be on route. Hence if there is reason for a delay from its original destination, then it doesn't mean there is not a plane or flight available. Four hours delay, unless you have a connecting flight elsewhere is nothing these days. Particularly with the ever increasing air traffic. You can try to claim with the airline. Re EU regulations, think of the sorry flyers with the likes of Ryanair or Jetstar who can expect no more than two vertical fingers if their flight is cancelled even after their luggage has checked in.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 10-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think we dont need more regulations...frankly regulations (in general) are killing the west.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Is the OP seriously suggesting that some sort of compensation should be given for a 4 hour delay?

www.flightstats.com show that the average on-time performance rating among all 41 Asian airlines is 68.86 percent.. Delays are normal.

Rather that forcing compensation on companies shouldn't regulation just force airlines to clearly publish their average delay so the market can decide.