Like Tree5Likes

Recommended sites for cheap flights

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Name:  Dragon air rip off.png
Views: 189
Size:  132.4 KB

For a 2 hour flight? I'll go see my brother in SF for that kind of money!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    HK Express is the airline that somehow magically managed to take off a good half an hour before our Dragon Air flight took off from Kunming, even though the HK Express flight was scheduled for a later departure than ours! And we noticed sometime after booking our fan fare that the HK Express flight was cheaper by more than $200! Certainly an airline to keep an eye on.

So chris_yang22 I completely disagree with you about Dragon Air. A direct flight to Siem Reap for $7000 on a "budget airline" -- no thanks! We wanted to go to Jeju once for a trip, and yes, Dragon Air had direct flights, which we booked and we paid a painful $4000 each for! And the Fan Fare that we bought to Kunming wasn't, in the end, where we ended up going and we still had to go through the trouble of booking another connecting flight to Lijiang. Something like 4 out of the 5 Dragon Air flights that we've taken in the past year have been delayed for some reason or another.
    When did I ever mention Dragon Air?!

Oh! My mistake, I guess... but Fan Fares = Dragon Air, and generally short local flights with Cathay = Dragon Air, so I assumed that's what you meant... sorry. Just like bashing them too much.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I must be using Skyscanner incorrectly. I've always found it to be more expensive than going direct through the airlines' websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I must be using Skyscanner incorrectly. I've always found it to be more expensive than going direct through the airlines' websites.
    You get the cheapest flights by not selecting "direct" normally - flights with at least one stop are usually cheaper. If you just want to fly direct, the amount of choice is pretty small most of the time. The airline from here (Cathay or Dragonair) plus the airline from the other end! with a few exceptions.

It also has a really good app for iphone - so you can while time away on the MTR checking out cheap holiday destinations!

Oh! My mistake, I guess... but Fan Fares = Dragon Air, and generally short local flights with Cathay = Dragon Air, so I assumed that's what you meant... sorry. Just like bashing them too much.
    Oh I didn't know that about dragon air. We used Fanfares to Malaysia and got great Cathay service at budget prices. It made us regret not using fan fares for our trip to Sydney, which was with that cattle car Air Asia.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You get the cheapest flights by not selecting "direct" normally - flights with at least one stop are usually cheaper. If you just want to fly direct, the amount of choice is pretty small most of the time. The airline from here (Cathay or Dragonair) plus the airline from the other end! with a few exceptions.

It also has a really good app for iphone - so you can while time away on the MTR checking out cheap holiday destinations!
    I use the one on my iPad when I get bored.

But I guess I'm picky. I'm really not that interested in saving a few dollars if means travelling on certain airlines with 3 or 4 stops thrown in.

I guess I've just been lucky with Dragonair as I've always had very positive experiences with them. The only thing that put me off was on a flight to Hanoi with them. The seats on that particular plane were designed for very short passengers! I couldn't rest my head against the back of my seat as it finished at my shoulder height - and I couldn't slide down my seat to manage it as there was no legroom. I'm only 5"9 so hardly a giant!! Thank God it was a short flight! Other flights with them have been on "normal planes" i.e. not designed for midgets.

You must have been on one of the smaller/older models that Dragonair runs. The guys in my family are pretty tall, so we always try to find airlines that have bigger seats. If you're interested Smart Travel Asia has a mega seat comparison chart that we use to pick longer haul flights. You'll find it at http://www.smarttravelasia.com/economy.htm

By the way, Groupon does some getaway deals. Mostly they're for China/Taiwan, but sometimes you get good deals for places further afield like Japan or Vietnam. It's a little hit-or-miss but you can always try your luck.

The other option is to use Expedia. If you book flights with hotels you get a great package discount. It's a little convoluted to go through the booking process, but you get to pick your price point and timing. I've gotten some pretty good deals there (i.e. HK-Phuket flight + 2 nights accomodation at a 5 star hotel for HK$2500).