Is it possible to enter Hong Kong on an emergency passport?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it possible to enter Hong Kong on an emergency passport?

Hi,

My friend lost his passport and is due in hong kong this coming Saturday.. he has received an emergency Irish Republic passport which is valid for 7 months.. Does anyone know if its possible to enter Hong Kong on the emergency passport? I've called the consulate etc and hard to get a definite answer.. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as don't want him coming all this way, just to get refused on entry..

Regards,

Derek

A passport is a passport whether an emergency one or not. Why wouldn't he be allowed in? It is valid and working I assume.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I think you need to check with ImmD as it's up to the country being travelled to whether it's accepted.

If you chose to travel on an emergency passport it is your responsibility to ensure that it is acceptable for travel to the destination you are visiting.

Is it an emergency pasport or an emergency travel document. The latter are only intended to get you home I think.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Is it an emergency pasport or an emergency travel document. The latter are only intended to get you home I think.
    I think these 2 are one and the same.

They are accepted by many countries. I dont know if HKG accepts them.

My experience is 30 odd years ago so probably bollocks by now.

This thread is useful but still a question mark over Eire emergency passports being accepted in HK.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread272981.html

Particularly given that the HK Govt don't sound hugely supportive of the concept. They state that when they issue HKSAR emergency passports: "Generally, requests from pleasure trippers for urgent issue of a passport will not be entertained"

I don't know if he'd get this far, airlines usually check passports and don't let you fly if it's likely you'll be turned away on arrival, as they are responsible for making sure you have a valid travel document at check-in and will have to fly you back if you don't.

Or so I believe from previous travel when challenged (incorrectly as they were insisting I had to travel with a chipped passport before they were required by law) by UA staff in Hong Kong a few years back.

I lost my Australian.passport 15 years ago and received a temporary one valid for 12 monyhs and reentered hong kong on it. The usual issues are the passport must be valid to travel with more than 6 months remaining so if 7 month shoukd be no problem but he should sort it out asap.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by auss:
    I lost my Australian.passport 15 years ago and received a temporary one valid for 12 monyhs and reentered hong kong on it.
    You are describing a limited validity passport which is a bit different than an an emergency passport.

Emergency passports normally are valid for just a few weeks, have very few pages in them and are also a different colour.
    Here is explanation from ozgovt : http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/...orts/index.htm

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast