Like Tree4Likes

Business Class Return to USA

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Business Class Return to USA

Need advise for the lowest return Business class fare to USA . New York or San Francisco. Departure Mid April return by first week of May.

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/2...tml#post145618 (old .. but I think its still valid)

Quick question .. is it cheaper to fly via Europe or direct via the west coast? Not looking for specific fares... just happen to be researching this out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quick question .. is it cheaper to fly via Europe or direct via the west coast? Not looking for specific fares... just happen to be researching this out of interest.
    I dont think its easy to generalize.

Via Europe, you have some airlines that are being very aggressive (Turkish, Finn, AirFrance, Emirates/Qatar etc).
    Via West Coast, you've got the good old Korean Air
    Depending on time of the year and the going specials, they flip-flop on fares.

On previous searches, I've also found some really cheap fares to Eastern USA via India.

HC - What airlines did you find to E-USA via India? Not Air India I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Need advise for the lowest return Business class fare to USA . New York or San Francisco. Departure Mid April return by first week of May.
    The answer depends on:
    1. What do you want out the business class - i.e., nice food, flat bed, quiet, etc
    2. How long a journey / how many stops are you prepared to live with?
    3. Are you a frequent flier with any particular groups of airlines you need to stay with?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    HC - What airlines did you find to E-USA via India? Not Air India I hope.
    Air India and Jet.
    However, I'm now doing some searches and neither are showing up...no idea why.

I was looking this afternoon at biz flights to London which for comparison may be useful.7 April to 21st.

HK-LHR direct Cathay HK$ 48,087

TW-HK-LHR Cathay HK$ 30,976 +tw rtn

HK-BKK-LHR EVA HK$ 25,225+rtn bkk

Going through Europe, with the connection times and layover, along with the longer distance traveled really adds quite a bit of time to your day. For example, from here to NYC direct is about 14-15 hours, but if you go through say Dubai it's 7 hours to Dubai and then 14 hours to NYC. If you go through London it's 14 hours to London and then 7 to NYC. Not counting the layover times in Europe.

One other observation--the airport taxes at some places like Heathrow and Paris are quite steep. While the 'fare' maybe lower than going direct, after you factor in the rather substantial taxes it turns out as a wash or even more expensive. LHR has some of the steepest taxes of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    LHR has some of the steepest taxes of them all.
    True but I believe that if you're connecting through between two points outside the EU on a single ticket then you are exempt from UK APD which is the largest part of it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast